Bathing Small Dog That Hates Water

One of my long-haried chihuahuas is now 6 years old, but right from day one she has hated being bathed. I normally use a detachable rubber shower hose so I can wash the dogs in the laundry tub, but with her, it took two of us to hold her in the tub; she was like a demented wild cat, it was so stressful for her and me.

I decided to try taking her in the shower with me and it worked like a charm. I hold her in my arms with the water running gently. Having a very long coat, it takes a bit to wash all her parts. I can turn her over on her back and wash her tummy properly, around her genital area and tail and even have the water running on her head. I think she feels safe and secure because I'm holding her firmly. No doubt it would be a funny sight, but as long as she's not stressed, I'm happy. She then stands on the shower floor and shakes on command whilst I get out and grab the towels. It would be impossible with a bigger dog, but for us it's magic!

She also lays on my legs while I finish drying her with the blow dryer on cool temperature. She is very pampered, but I love her.

By Lois from Qld, Australia

I used to do a similar thing with a little poodle I had. I just took her in the shower with me and washed her. She still didn't like being bathed, but it was certainly easier.

We have a walk-in shower and four dogs, one who hates water. I put on my swimsuit and sit on a plastic stool in the shower, and my husband sends the dogs in, one at a time. The one who hates water has gotten to where she doesn't mind getting a bath now. Whatever it takes, right? The things we do for our "babies", lol.

Bathing the Family Dog
Giving a Dog a Bath
Pets Dogs GroomingMay 1, 2011
Homemade Water Guns
Homemade Water Guns
Well water running a in a sink.
Removing Rust from Well Water
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
View of the water line.
Flushing a Refrigerator Water Line
🎉
🎄