Training Puppy Not To Chew On Everything

How do I get my Minpin Sugar Bear to stop chewing everything up?

By Sharon from Mangum, OK

Hello there. Congratulations on your new addition! You're in for years of lots of love, devotion and, well, yes, a bit of training to do. However the good news is, dogs are very easy to train, especially at such a young age :o) The first thing you want to do with your puppy is remember to that he is just that, a puppy! Be sure to have plenty of appropriate chew things available for him to chew on at all times. And never, ever scold him or hit your puppy when he does anything wrong. I suggest you tell him "No" in a firm and stern voice when he does anything you do not want him to do and then direct him to the appropriate alternative and offer him lots of praise & petting as your puppy is chewing his chew toy. Tell him, in a high voice "Good boy!" and pet him, and give him tons of affection!

My theory is enforce the good behavior & ignore the negative. A great product I used to use when I was training my puppy several years ago, was called 'Bitter Apple', its sold in most any pet center. I sprayed it on the edges of sofa, the edges of the coffee table (I applied it to a paper towel 1st then wiped it along the perimeter of the tables). He really disliked the taste! It doesn't take long for a dog to get "the hint", your puppy wants nothing more than to please you & make you happy!

Good Luck!

I second that. Perfect answer from chickey boom boom.

July 16, 2010 Flag

We have adopted a 1 year old American Bulldog who is constantly chewing up everything! Can you please help me with some training tips?

Tracy from Westland, MI

Give him lots of toys he can chew on. Every time you see him chewing on something he's not supposed to, give him a firm "no" and hand him one of his chew toys. (06/05/2008)

He is at the age he should start outgrowing it soon. You might want to get a clicker or just click w/your tongue. Any time he is chewing something you don't want him to. Click, say "leave it" and give him a reward for doing so. It has to be a positive loud noise. I went through it twice and I lost a lot of things, but now I can barely remember the things. Some people crate their dogs when they aren't home, but I think it's cruel. How could anyone be in a small confined space all day without going nuts? Dogs are the same. It wouldn't be unfair to gate him in the kitchen to reduce his destructiveness as long as he has the necessary water. (06/09/2008)

By Me

I put a very thin coat of Vicks Vapor Rub on the wooden corners of my couch which are now rounded because of chewing and hid in the doorway. My new pup jumped on the couch and took one bite of the corner and had the most surprised look on his face! Tried another corner with the same result. Hasn't chewed on anything since. Also used Vicks on the adhesive tape covering an injury with the same results. (06/09/2008)

By JoanDogs

RE: Training Puppy Not To Chew On Everything

Keep him confined in a pet carrier, large crate, or a room that he can't chew anything up in unless you are supervising him. Treat him like a 2 year old. You have to teach him what is good to play with and chew on and what he shouldn't. If you leave him unattended in the living room for even 10 minutes there is no telling what he can chew up. Keep up a baby gate so he is only in the room you are in so you have a constant eye on him. (06/09/2008)

By junebug_000

Puppy Chewing on Boot
Preventing Puppies From Chewing
Pets Dogs Training AdviceJuly 16, 2010
House Training a Pit Bull
House Training a Pit Bull Puppy
Boxer puppy chewing on a plastic bone.
Training a Boxer Puppy
A dog in a crate
Dealing With a Dog That Chews
Pit Bull Puppy
Training a Pit Bull Puppy