AdviceDogs

Fussy Shih Tzu

I have a very fussy Shih Tzu. I am desperate for any tips.

Lorrae from Wodonga, Vic.

What do you mean by fussy? Is this a behavior problem, or a food issue? Please elaborate.

Hi, my shih tzu is a fussy eater, nothing to do with his behaviour, he wont eat dry dog food, not keen on canned food and will only eat cooked chicken and he turns his nose up at this often, am hoping someone can give me a few tips. Cheers, Lorrae.

Assuming that your dog does not have any underlying medical problems, then this could just be a battle of wills. Why would your dog want to est dog food, when he knows that he will eventually get tasty chicken!! Tzu's are known to be stubborn, so I understand how frustrating this can be, and you don't want your baby to starve. You have a couple of options:

First, make sure you have a good quality food for your dog. I assume you do. Next figure out the feeding schedule that works well for your schedule. Now comes the hard part - for awhile, and I do mean AWHILE, no extra food treats, or feeding chicken, etc. Put the food down for your dog, if he doesn't eat after about 15 minutes, the food goes away.

Eventually your dog will eat. He won't go days without eating unless he can't because something is wrong. This will be a battle of wills, and you will feel like a terrible mommy I know. Again, I am assuming that your dog has no medical problems. And sometimes dogs don't like the taste of certain foods, and will eat some dog foods with more zest than others.

Let me know what foods you have tried, or are thinking of trying. Maybe I could give you more suggestions to try. Good luck, and I promise you are not starving your dog!

Try training it!

Lauren

Your dog eats chicken because that what you feed it, the dog won't starve to death, put the dog food of YOUR choice and wait the dog out and put nothing else down for it to eat or it might train you again.

My doggie, Honey (spoiled) is CRAZY about bananas, carrots cooked, green beans, and mixed veggies. He started wasting his canned food I would set out 1/3 can of pricey canned food he decided not to eat

it. After a month of wasting $$$ food sometimes, he would eat it after a day or two he had dry kibbles for a backup so we battled I won! Not easy I now feed him small amount of wet food and provide dry kibbles 24/7 and nanas and vegs only when he is a GOOD boy. We are happy now, I love him so much (no kids, divorced)so I tend to spoil him and he tried to work it his way. It was very tough to hear him beg, he cries and whines and yaps like talking at me. Here is my bad boy: