Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Toothpaste For Tarnish On Silver

Why buy expensive jewelry cleaner for my tarnished silver pieces? Now I use white toothpaste with an old used toothbrush. Give it a few swirls inside the crannies, and my silver jewelry now sparkles as if I got it professionally cleaned.

By cipi2000 from Miami, FL

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Joan [2]03/13/2011

I misread, you are doing silverware. Same with it. The silver coating is likely very thin. I used to have to clean my parent's silverware and I used the aluminum foil method for removing tarnish then rinsing in vinegar water.

By Joan [2]03/13/2011

Don't do it very often as the toothpaste contains abrasives. If the settings are tight just soaking them is a dish of water with a few drops of vinegar and dish soap does a great job.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Toothpaste Fights Tarnish On Silver

To clean tarnish off silver without using a silver polish, coat the silver with toothpaste, then run it under warm water, work it into a foam, and rinse it off. For stubborn stains or for silverware with intricate grooves, use an old soft bristled toothbrush.

By joesgirl

RE: Toothpaste Fights Tarnish On Silver

Toothpaste and tarnished silver your right it'll clean it right up. (10/14/2007)

By Lionslady

RE: Toothpaste Fights Tarnish On Silver

it does not stop it from tarnishing. (11/02/2008)

By Anonymous