Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

Toothpaste For Tarnish On Silver

3EmailPrintFollowSave

Why buy expensive jewelry cleaner for my tarnished silver pieces? Now I use white toothpaste with an old used toothbrush. Give it a few swirls inside the crannies, and my silver jewelry now sparkles as if I got it professionally cleaned.

By cipi2000 from Miami, FL

By Joan 2 167 03/13/2011 Flag

Don't do it very often as the toothpaste contains abrasives. If the settings are tight just soaking them is a dish of water with a few drops of vinegar and dish soap does a great job.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Joan 2 167 03/13/2011 Flag

I misread, you are doing silverware. Same with it. The silver coating is likely very thin. I used to have to clean my parent's silverware and I used the aluminum foil method for removing tarnish then rinsing in vinegar water.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Post a Comment

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the comments that were provided then.

Archive: Toothpaste Fights Tarnish On Silver

To clean tarnish off silver without using a silver polish, coat the silver with toothpaste, then run it under warm water, work it into a foam, and rinse it off. For stubborn stains or for silverware with intricate grooves, use an old soft bristled toothbrush.

By joesgirl

Feedback:

RE: Toothpaste Fights Tarnish On Silver

Toothpaste and tarnished silver your right it'll clean it right up. (10/14/2007)

By Lionslady

RE: Toothpaste Fights Tarnish On Silver

it does not stop it from tarnishing. (11/02/2008)

By Anonymous