Borax vs. Salt for Fleas

We are infested with fleas, I guess lots of other people are having this problem this year. It's very frustrating and driving us nuts. We've got more flea bites than the cat! I guess they're called "sand fleas" or something like that. They come in from the grass outdoors on our clothes and such.

Anyway... I've seen posts about 20 Mule Team Borax and also about salt. We've tried the diatomaceous earth - it works a little bit, but the fleas are still here.

We have a very old house with pine wood floors as well as area rugs. Do you recommend borax or salt and how should we use it?

Thanks so much in advance for a prompt reply from anyone who knows.

SQCO

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

I had a house that had a terrible flea infestation, I used the table salt method and it worked! The thing to do is completely saturate the base boards and around the heat vents with table salt and completely saturate the floors also. Leave it on the floors for 24-48 hours and vacuum good afterwards. I haven't had any fleas since.

Best Answer

Please be careful using salt and other such things with your pets. I tried the salt method in the past, as it was told to me by a friend. One of my cats got salt into her eye (probably from wiping her face with her paw), and it caused her to have a terrible eye ulcer. With several trips to the vet, meds and time, her eye healed, and I was so thankful.

Also remember, that if it is left on the carpet where your pets walk, it is getting on their paws and could dry their paws out, and they also lick their paws. I wish I knew of a perfect solution. I've been using the flea treatment from the vets. I hate using it, but I don't want them to be overrun with fleas either. I'll keep reading up to see what's out there.

I tried the salt and it didn't work. I am now going to try the borax I hope it works! You know what I mean.

Just noticed that someone mentioned not letting pets or children into the room, until the salt was vacuumed up. That is great advice! I also like the suggestion about the pie pan, nightlight, pie pan and syrup and some of the other suggestions. Thank you.

I tried the salt and its easy and perfect! No Fleas! No damage to my cheap but nice vacuume:P

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Sand Flea on sand
Borax vs. Salt for Fleas
Pets FleasSeptember 22, 2005
Borax powder, with a measuring cup and spray bottle.
Cleaning With Borax
Borax
Buying Borax
A salt dough ornament on a Christmas tree.
Making Salt Dough Ornaments
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 23, 2016 at 12:05:52 AM on 10.0.1.103 in 344 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.