Protecting A Geranium Plant In Winter

I have a huge geranium plant planted in a pot and would love to try to save it. However, I really have no where to sit it indoors. I'm afraid the red pedals will fall on the carpet and stain it if they are stepped on. I know I've seen on this website suggestions about how to save them when dormant for the next growing season. Can someone give me those instructions again please?

I can store it under the house in a crawl place. I need to know how to prepare it. Do I cut the blooms all off? Water it? Cover it up with a grocery bag? Take it out of the pot? At what time exactly to I move it and prepare it for the hibernation?

Donna from Millbury, OH

Best Answer

You can clean all the dirt off the roots, put the whole plant in a paper bag then in an open plastic bag, and put them in a cool place, basement, garage, workshop, anywhere that doesn't freeze. They'll look dead in the spring, but they'll leaf out once they're exposed to light, soil, and some water.

Good luck!!

Best Answer

I live in Indiana and have saved my geraniums for many years by bringing them inside (in their pots). I used to line them up in front of a patio door, covering the carpet with heavy-duty clear plastic purchased by the yard at a local fabric shop. After moving to another home, I now place them wherever I can find a spot where they'll get enough light over the winter.

They bloom on & off all winter, and I enjoy tending them during the dreary winter months. If the plants are too gangly, I trim some branches back before bringing them inside. I put some liquid fertilizer in their water every few weeks when spring comes, and move them outside again when the weather warms up (leaving them in their pots).

Some of my plants are quite old--I've never lost any plant by doing this. I have transplanted a couple of them into larger pots as they've grown bigger. I am always the first person in the neighborhood to have pots of geraniums lining my sidewalk each spring. If it turns cold again, they can always be brought back inside for a day or two.

Best Answer

We save our geraniums by trimming then down and putting them in our root cellar; bring them out in April where it is warm and they start growing back.

Best Answer

When I use to live up north, Ct. I would dig my geraniums up every fall, bring them into the basement and HANG them upside down from the rafters. They sure got to look pretty dead looking, but when spring came they started to put out green, that was my signal to take them down and pot them up. I kept them inside until the weather was safe to put them back on the porch. Good Luck jeannette, in fla.

Winterizing a Geranium Part One
Winterizing a Geranium Plant
Home and Garden Gardening AdviceOctober 24, 2008
Cold frame and glass cloches for plant protection.
Preparing Your Garden for Winter
Scented Geraniums
Growing Scented Geranium
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush
Saving Money on Winter Vacations, Snowman and Snowwoman Enjoying the Pool and Warm Sun Together
Saving Money on Winter Vacations
🎉
🎄