KitchenHome Improvement

Painting a Counter Top

How do you paint a kitchen counter top?

By Linda from Media, PA

Answers

Is it a formica counter top? If so, there are a lot of options. Simply painting the countertop is easy, it just requires cleaning it, sanding the counter top, and priming and painting.

However, there are many other decorative options that look much better than just paint.

You can use a granite finish, seen here http://www.west  r.com/giani.html

Everything you need to do is right in the kit.

There are some other counter top painting options listed here.

http://www.how2  Countertops.html

November 28, 2009 Flag

I would like info on painting a counter top. What kind of paint to use etc.?

Pauline from Winnipeg

Answers:

Painting a Counter Top

I painted my counter top two or three years ago and it still looks great. I first cleaned the counter well and used a high adhesion primer with a foam roller. I then did two coats of black latex paint and then used a sea sponge and white craft paint to pounce over that. I then used two coats of a poly type top coat. It is still looking great. I did this to see if I'd like the color before committing to it when we redo our kitchen. Hope you give it a try. (06/05/2008)

By Connie

RE: Painting a Counter Top

Painting a Counter Top

Whatever technique you use, I'd seal it with a marine sealer, the kind that's used on boats. Since they are in the water, this type of sealer should extend the life of your project. (06/14/2008)

By KJ

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes