I volunteer with a human society. I have been using their mixture of bleach and water to clean and disinfect the dog crates and kennels. I personally do no use bleach in my home life, and would like to know if there is a recipe that I could make to disinfect the kennels.
Heidi from Salem, OH
Unfortunately, bleach and water are probably the best solution to kill everything in the crate. However, you need to be careful not to mix the bleach/water solution with urine as it will turn into a nasty gas (hydrochloric acid) that can cause severe respiratory problems or even kill you.
I have large dogs and found that if I use a Lysol/water mixture (Mr Clean or any non-ammonia based cleaner will also work) to clean the urine/feces first and then sanitize after with the bleach/water solution, it cleans and disinfects well without causing any serious side effects. You don't need much bleach either (10:1 solution) will do.
Please "never" use bleach for cleaning areas for pets or people, instead use "White Vinegar". White vinegar is great for cleaning and disinfecting and not poisonous. Vet's have recommended this for years. Go online and check it out.
It has been proven that vinegar and peroxide make a great earth and people and pet friendly disinfectant. My husband and I own a cleaning service. We don't use bleach products and have recently switched to using natural cleaners. You can search the internet for proof, by using, "vinegar and peroxide as disinfectant".
You must not MIX the two. Each must be in a separate bottle. Spray first one, let it sit for a minute, then follow with the other. It doesn't matter whether you use the peroxide first, or the vinegar first. I use the vinegar first, then the peroxide.
White vinegar has less of a smell (and is cheaper) than apple cider vinegar. For added disinfectant and a fresher smell, you could add some essential oil to the vinegar and peroxide. Most essential oils will repel fleas as well, But essential oils are pricey. On the other hand, you only need a few drops of essential oil. I recommend eucalyptus, orange or clove, if you use the essential oils. HTH
As a veterinary technician of 10+ years, I can tell you that for the cleaning that you are doing, bleach/water is the most effective and economical thing a shelter can use. First, in a shelter situation with the large number of animals in and out-it is highly likely an animal will come in that has a very contagious virus, parasite or infection-such as parvo, coccidia or giardia. Bleach/water solution is the best disinfectant for these and other diseases. There are other cleansing/disinfecting formulas out there that are specifically designed for animal care situations but these are very expensive-often too expensive for most shelters to use. The only suggestion that I can offer is to contact the manufacturers and see if they would be interested in donating some to the shelter. Good luck!
Bleach is an effective disinfectant when used properly but is NOT a cleaner. To clean and disinfect kennel environments using bleach, one must clean the area first using a soap or detergent, rinse thoroughly and apply a bleach solution (diluted 1:32) to the surface. The bleach solution must remain on the surface for at least 10 minutes before being thououghly rinsed off. Bleach is seriously inactivated (as a disinfectant) when it comes in contact with organic material such as urine, feces, blood, pus, or just plain old dirt, that is why you MUST clean all surfaces prior to disinfecting with bleach.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!