Homemade Cat Carrier

My kitten, Zephy, jumped in this empty soda box the other day. I need to take her to the vet to get shots soon and thought, "Wow, an instant PET TAXI! Now I won't have to go buy one!

Source: Zephy's idea!

By Brenda from Tupelo, MS

Homemade Cat Carrier

Smart kitty! She picked her own taxi.

How adorable and good fortune for you both! She'll feel more safe and you've saved money ;-) Be sure to punch some breathing holes!

Maybe your cat likes to travel more than mine. It is not secure enough for mine. He hates to go to the vet once a year. I have a regular pet taxi that locks. Good idea for a kitty less excitable than mine.

I agree punch or cut breathing/sight holes. My cat Pepper freaked out when confined in a cat carrier, but was absolutely docile when I put her (20#) in a carpetbag-type purse. Easier for me, easier for her. I'd latch the top, but she liked the dark, because everything else was scary (I assume). The swaying, noise, motion, more noise, etc. The cat I have now I couldn't trust in any carrier not securely bolted, but I am thinking of covering the wire sides so she can't see what's happening.

I now have all boy cats, but had an alpha female before them. none of them-or most of the cats in my life-would sit dociley in a cardboard box. I even had one cat tear his way out of one of those heavy duty cardboard cat carriers you get from the vets and adoption places when we were on a very busy freeway. once out, he bounced all over the car. he wanted out at any cost. so, be sure your kitty doesn't mind being in a car before you go, some will ride wrapped around your shoulders, most will flip out.

Zephy, my cat, seems to love riding in the car in this soda box. I carry her all around the house and take her on rides in this soda box. She gives me no problems what so ever. I tried the pillowcase but she seemed to be off balance as it is not flat when carrying. But each cat has their own likes and dislikes. Glad others have found ideas compatible with their specific cat. :)

Cute kitty, love the name. Hey she knew what she liked. Good idea and tip for others with cats and kittens.

I would advise wrapping the box securely with thick packing tape, then cutting some air holes. Also, use a harness on your cat. My cat tears though heavy cardboard boxes in no time! You don't want to lose your kitty!

Photo of a pet carrier made from a plastic tub.
Homemade Pet Carrier Ideas
Pets CatsAugust 19, 2009
Baby Carrier Cover
Handmade Baby Carrier Cover
Fire Wood Carrier
Making a Fire Wood Carrier
Cat in Carrier
Using Cat Carriers