Homemade Pet Carrier Ideas

Editor's Note: Many people have expressed concerns about this tip. Make sure your pet has proper ventilation in any pet carrier you use and do not leave pets in longer than necessary. The plastic could also become overly warm if left in a hot car. Use caution and common sense.

I get exhausted trying to get my cats into the pet carrier when it is time to go to the vet or getting a picture taken with Santa, etc. It would be easier if I had a larger carrier, but they are expensive. I paid $40.00 for a small one. Finally I found a solution.

I purchased a plastic 18 gallon tote that has a locking lid. You can find them almost anywhere, Lowe's, Walmart, and Kmart. You can find them one sale for around $4.00. I drilled holes in the top and around the bottom part of the container.

I put towels in the bottom for comfort and the pet stays calm since they don't really see what is going on. It also gives me more peace of mind if the pet has an accident, it will not mess up the car.

By Karen Taulbee from Dayton, OH

3 More Solutions

My kitten, Zephy, jumped in this empty soda box the other day. I need to take her to the vet to get shots soon and thought, "Wow, an instant PET TAXI! Now I won't have to go buy one!

Homemade Cat Carrier

I am looking for ideas for my dogs. I have a mini Pin/Chi (5 months) and a 6 yr old full size Cowpie. They love to ride on the 4 wheelers, the Kubota tractor, riding lawn mowers, anything that I get on they want on. At first they will run and play, but when they get tired they want to ride with me and if I don't put them on with me they will run after me. So not to run over them I have a laundry basket that I will tie down to put them in and cover half with a rag so they have shade. Does anyone have any ideas that would help me? I am also needing ideas for a carrying bag. I don't want to have to buy anything; I want to be able to recycle things around the house.

By Renee M.

Answer this Question

My cat stresses severely when placed into a cat carrier for a vet visit. Now she stresses hardly at all when I made my own cheap effective carrier.

Pets AdviceJune 3, 2012
😷
🍂
🎄
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Homemade-Pet-Carrier-Ideas.html