Upcycle What You Have

contest winner icon

Upcycle what you have to enjoy in new ways! I am using my broken screen door guard as a bracket in my bedroom to hold a birdcage planter and outside on my back patio to hold a small set of windchimes!

By melody_yesterday from Otterville, MO

Here is the upcycled element in my bedroom holding the birdcage planter. I love the use of architectural elements in ways other than intended! It is a step off the blazen trail & is fun,exciting & often "daring" to mix the unexpected!

I love your idea. I always try to find new uses for items ready to be thrown away. Thanks for your pics.

Both of your ideas are so cute and clever! You rock, and thanks for sharing.

How very, very clever! Thanks for sharing!

Great idea! That looks awesome!

This makes me think of another use for them! I'm going to attach 6 to each clothesline pole (2 on each of 3 sides) to hang small things like pot holders and whatever (can't think right now, too early! LOL) But that's a great idea! If they are strong enogh they'd also be great to hang hummingbird feeders from too!

Thanks everyone!

Cricketnc: I like that idea too!

They are pretty strong but can be bent or even broken.

If you have a demolition company in your area or a salvage company that resells things such as this,you might check with them for all sorts of beautiful upcycled items taken from houses before they are grazed.

They often have wonderful things & sometimes they are organized - other times not.

It's a great way to get great old iron objects such as fencing or maybe even an old piece of millwork or gingerbread to give your decorating project a little more character without breaking the bank!

Tonight I snapped another pic of the broken screen door guard outside on my deck holding a beaded candle holder.

It doesn't take a big piece as you can see. It is slipped in behind a shutter. If anyone finds other ways to use this item - please post it!

Thanks everyone! Here's one last pic (for now).

Upclose photo of a wind chime hanging outside.
Making Wind Chimes
Better Living Green Living ReusingSeptember 11, 2009
Chopping Wood, Axe in Wood Log
Chopping Wood
A pile of apple slices.
Freezing Apples
Bowl of salsa with ingredients in background.
Dry Salsa Mix Recipes
Self Rising Flour
Making Self Rising Flour