Using Carpet Padding as Insulation

We are pulling up the carpet and padding in our house and replacing it with wood flooring. We have been wanting to put additional insulation in our attic and came up with the idea to spread the carpet padding in the attic over the existing insulation. Before we do this, I thought I'd ask if this might be a bad idea for some reason.

Peggy from Yulan, NY

Sounds like a good idea but I suggest you talk with at least 2 builders about this. It may not be safe. Good luck.

I asked my husband about your idea and he said that he didn't think it would work because insulation has to breathe and carpet padding would not allow for that and it would cause dampness. Hope this tip helps you with your decision.

I would make for certain and call my local carpet store.

Would it be fireproof?

My husband and I used to own a home construction business. I can tell you that this would not be a good idea, because the weight of the padding would compact the existing insulation, which would prevent it from capturing and retaining air. There is, unfortunately, not much you can do to re-use or recycle the padding, because of all the dirt and contaminants it has capture over the years.

Thanks so much for your input! I just hate throwing away anything! I was wondering if the carpet padding might work as insulation around the water heater. We're ditching the idea of putting it in the attic thanks to your comments!

Not a good idea, you need proper insulation. Do you have children, grandkids, friends with kids, they could use it in a playhouse or a dollhouse. Otherwise, donate it.

I had the same problem with the pad and the carpet. I decided it would work great on a hill side that was at the back of my property. It kept out the weeds and lasted some time before rotting away.

This would not be a good idea. Old carpet padding tends to get very crumbly over time; also, even though it might look clean, it isn't. Padding retains a lot of dust and debris. I went online and found this information. To find a carpet pad recycling center ask at your local carpeting or home improvement store or look online. Many times your local carpeting store will take the padding and sell it to the carpet padding recycling center. If you can find your own recycling center, you can take that money yourself, though you'll have to do your own hauling. Most people don't realize that recycled carpet pad has value so don't even think to check about recycling it. By making contact with the right person, you can receive that value. Hope this helps.

I wouldnt do it because its the air pockets in the insulation that adds the extra warmth. Once insulation gets packed down, you need to add more.

Also, I think if insulation would work better than way, manufacturers would sell those type of "blankets" for insulation.

You may want to put down your carpet padding UNDER your insulation, but I'm thinking this is not new construction you are talking about. The other idea is to use your old carpet between rows in your garden if you vegetable garden. It keeps weeds out.

Please keep thinking of ways to reuse materials that would otherwise go to landfills. I'm proud of you.

We use old carpet in the garden. We make strips about 2 feet wide and lay them out for walk ways. You could also use carpet to keep weeds out of flower beds around the plants or bushes. As for the padding, we have used it in the shop to stand or walk on, nicer than concrete.

I have one of those huge whole house fans in my attic that goes from the ceiling in the upstairs hall up into the attic and out the house. I put all my old carpet padding over it in the winter to help seal out the drafts - It works great because the padding molds to the shape of the fan. I love the strips in the garden idea - I'll do that one!

Carpet
Uses for Carpet Padding
Home and Garden Home Improvement InsulationJanuary 23, 2009
Walker Grips
Adding Padding to Walker Grips
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
Vinyl Chair
Drying Padding Inside Vinyl Covered Chairs
🎉
🎄