Substitute for Powdered Sugar

If you are out of powdered sugar, put regular sugar in the blender and process on high until it turns powdery. Be sure to stir up the sugar on the bottom a couple of times so it all turns out to be the same consistency. Measure out the amount needed for your recipe!

By Roberta from Deltona, FL

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

You also need to add a bit of corn starch. Check the internet for amounts. Maybe this is only if you want to keep the sugar. Never tried, but looked it up one day.

You add corn starch to keep the sugar from clumping and caking. Commercial manufacturers of powedered sugar do this, which I learned of when in college Food Prep. courses.

Roberta, What a smart idea!!! I am going to try it. I see a couple other ladies do it too ,but add corn starch. Would you know how much to add?

Judy from Alabama

Yes, it is better with cornstarch added. Here is the formula: Mix 1 cup granulated sugar + 1 tablespoon corn starch in blender until powdery, stirring often.

This is a GREAT TIP!!!! TY so much. :-)

It didn't work for me, maybe I did something wrong

lol

This worked perfectly and saved the cookies we made today! Thank you for the tip!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

My sugar cookies turned out great thanks to your handy tip!

You saved the day!

Thank you it worked so well, I made carrot cake with icing. I needed icing sugar and it worked. I blended it in the blender. You're great. Thanks!

OMG that helped so flipping much! u rock!

Thanks so much, it worked perfectly. I would have never thought of this. You saved my orange frosting for a special cake. Awesome tip!!

Thank you so much, you saved my cinnamon rolls!

You saved my sister's bday cake! I love you.

thank you sooooooo much! i had no cornstarch like the other recipes said, so i put it in the blender and it worked. i tweaked it a little bit; i added a pinch of flour; when we use to make thickening for gravies, or sauces we would add a little flour in water; so i added flour and it worked. we're making cinnamon rolls

thanks again

My boyfriend and I are making brownies and frosting and we had no powdered sugar. This saved our frosting. :)

I have a little one who is on a Glueten free, Soy free and Corn free diet, this includes corn starch. I'm going to try it without the corn starch to see if I can make a frosting for his birthday cake. Hope it works.

Comment

Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsJune 1, 2007
A sugar mill making powdered sugar.
How to Make Confectioners (Powdered) Sugar
Ground Cinnamon
Sugar Free Cinnamon and Sugar Recipes
Making Diabetic Powdered Sugar (Sugar Free)
Storing Sugar
Storing Sugar
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 25, 2016 at 7:12:35 PM on 10.0.1.9 in 795 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.