Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Substitute for Powdered Sugar

If you are out of powdered sugar, put regular sugar in the blender and process on high until it turns powdery. Be sure to stir up the sugar on the bottom a couple of times so it all turns out to be the same consistency. Measure out the amount needed for your recipe!

By Roberta from Deltona, FL

Recent Feedback

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By lisaf06/10/2011

I have a little one who is on a Glueten free, Soy free and Corn free diet, this includes corn starch. I'm going to try it without the corn starch to see if I can make a frosting for his birthday cake. Hope it works.

By samantha baldwin12/28/2009

My boyfriend and I are making brownies and frosting and we had no powdered sugar. This saved our frosting. :)

By jackie (Guest Post)12/11/2008

thank you sooooooo much! i had no cornstarch like the other recipes said, so i put it in the blender and it worked. i tweaked it a little bit; i added a pinch of flour; when we use to make thickening for gravies, or sauces we would add a little flour in water; so i added flour and it worked. we're making cinnamon rolls
thanks again

By (Guest Post)09/20/2008

You saved my sister's bday cake! I love you.

By nicole (Guest Post)09/03/2008

Thank you so much, you saved my cinnamon rolls!

By Shirley (Guest Post)06/03/2008

Thanks so much, it worked perfectly. I would have never thought of this. You saved my orange frosting for a special cake. Awesome tip!!

By Shirley (Guest Post)06/03/2008

By rockin babysitter (Guest Post)05/29/2008

OMG that helped so flipping much! u rock!

By aryan (Guest Post)05/20/2008

Thank you it worked so well, I made carrot cake with icing. I needed icing sugar and it worked. I blended it in the blender. You're great. Thanks!

By Shannon in Minnesota (Guest Post)12/27/2007

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
My sugar cookies turned out great thanks to your handy tip!
You saved the day!

By Sarah (Guest Post)12/06/2007

This worked perfectly and saved the cookies we made today! Thank you for the tip!!

By sarah (Guest Post)11/12/2007

It didn't work for me, maybe I did something wrong
lol

By Carolyn [1]07/05/2007

This is a GREAT TIP!!!! TY so much. :-)

By Roberta (Guest Post)06/14/2007

Yes, it is better with cornstarch added. Here is the formula: Mix 1 cup granulated sugar + 1 tablespoon corn starch in blender until powdery, stirring often.

By Judy Harris [28]06/03/2007

Roberta, What a smart idea!!! I am going to try it. I see a couple other ladies do it too ,but add corn starch. Would you know how much to add?

Judy from Alabama

By Patty [6]06/01/2007

You add corn starch to keep the sugar from clumping and caking. Commercial manufacturers of powedered sugar do this, which I learned of when in college Food Prep. courses.

By Margie Minard (Guest Post)06/01/2007

You also need to add a bit of corn starch. Check the internet for amounts. Maybe this is only if you want to keep the sugar. Never tried, but looked it up one day.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to post feedback.