Keeping Seams Together When Sewing

Tips for keeping your seams together while sewing from the ThriftyFun community.

Use Tape

I'm new to sewing. Pinning fabric together doesn't always leave me with matched seams. I tried an experiment which worked well for me. I used tape to hold the fabric together and ended up with matching seams!

By Christi from NC

Use A Card

One way to keep seams matched is to put a recipe card under the left pressure foot when sewing, and moving forward as you advance. It holds the top fabric in place, and that is what shifts as you sew. This is especially handy for matching stripes or plaids. I use it for almost any seam to stop the shifting. I do pin the fabric together first. Give it a try.

By WIsgal

Keep The Bottom Layer In Place

it is the nature of the machine to pull the bottom layer through a little ahead of the top layer, watch how the feed dogs work. You can overcome this by using a walking foot, sometimes it depends on the type of your material as well. Trying holding your finger gently behind, as the fabric feeds through, causing a "bunch-up", as that will help control the pulling through of the bottom layer and the stretching of material.

By fauxpaslover

Glue Stick

I'm an old seamstress but find that aside from the wonderful walking foot, it is possible to put seams together with an ordinary glue stick. The glue will wash out first wash and is harmless if left on. I learned to use it making drapes commercially. To keep satin, etc. from fraying, run the stick along the cut line before you cut. Wipe the scissors as necessary.

By siris.

Double Sided Sewing Tape

You can use double side tape which is made for sewing. I use it to put in zippers you will get the zipper in place almost perfect all the time.

By patg

Sewing with a sewing machine.

I use super-magnets and place one circular magnet on each side of the place that I would normally pin. If your magnets are super-strength, it works wonderfully!

(This also works for cutting patterns!)

Sewing with a sewing machine.
Keeping Seams Together When Sewing
Crafts SewingSeptember 5, 2007
Knifty Knitters
Stitching Together Panels Made on Knifty Knitter
green peppers growing
Growing Peppers and Tomatoes Together
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
Rag Quilt
Rag Quilt Patterns