Male Cat Urine Seems to Smell Stronger

Our 8 month old male kitten has been fixed (as soon as he was 5 months), but he still backs up to stuff and it looks like he's trying to spray. His litter box absolutely reeks after one pee.

Is he is still thinking he can spray? Will the odor go away as he gets a bit older? We use Fresh Step. Should we switch to another brand? If so, what brand would be best?

By Desiree from CT

Answers

Yes, male cat urine smells much stronger. It is the testosterone. It allows them to mark therir territory. Even when a male is fixed the urine still smells stronger. Neutering a male or female does not eliminate the marking behavior, but it does lessen it. I used Comfort Zone with my male cat to discourage any more marking. It worked.

January 21, 2010 Flag

Is it just me or does male cat urine smell much worse than females? We have had Rosie for almost 2 yrs. I've never had an issue with the litter box before, but since getting the male, have noticed my home smells like a cat house. I clean the litter each day, but this does not help as just one pee in the litter and the smell is overpowering.

He does not like to bury his mess, but rather likes to scratch the walls behind the litter box. I have tried baking soda, no luck. I read earlier to try coal for the BBQ. Next shopping trip.

Is there a possibility this could be a cat issue that must be looked at by the vet?

Karyn from Ottawa, Canada

Answers:

Male Cat Urine Seems to Smell Stronger

Has your male cat been neutered? I could tell a huge difference after my male kitties were neutered. If this is something new, I would ask a vet about it. (02/05/2008)

By hoptownracer1

Male Cat Urine Seems to Smell Stronger

Have your male cat neutered if he isn't now. Also, move the litter-box away from the wall so he won't scratch at the wall while in it. Your two cats might need separate litter-boxes to cut down on this behavior.

Good luck! (02/07/2008)

By NokomisNims

Male Cat Urine Seems to Smell Stronger

I agree with the others; get the cat neutered. Also, buy a better quality of cat litter. Multi-cat is what I use for my two neutered males, although they prefer to go outside when they can. Another idea is to get one of the litter boxes that is like a little house. This eliminates throwing the litter over the sides. They track a bit out the front, but it is a lot neater. Also these litter boxes have a vent in the top for a charcoal filter. (02/07/2008)

By louel53

Male Cat Urine Seems to Smell Stronger

Assuming your tom hasn't been neutered, and there is more than one cat in your home, then chances are he is spraying his territory. If this is the case, then the litter box is not your only problem. Having him neutered will definitely cut down your odor problem, but you still need to get rid of what is already there. Try mixing one part white vinegar to two parts water and a splash of laundry soap. Spray, blot, scrub depending on area etc., then rinse with club soda. (Make sure you test a little area of whatever first.) DO NOT use ammonia based cleanser, as it only intensifies the ammonia in the urine. And don't use bleach, as it might react with the ammonia/urine. (02/08/2008)

By doodles

Male Cat Urine Seems to Smell Stronger

Thank you to all who posted. Yes, my cat is male and not yet neutered. He is almost 6 months old. Looks like I have to get him neutered or else as the hubby wants, get rid of him. Not going to happen. He is now a part of our family and he is just so very affectionate. He is not at all like my female, who most of the time wants nothing to do with us.

Thanks again and happy days ahead. (02/11/2008)

By Karyn01

Male Cat Urine Seems to Smell Stronger

I have been experimenting with a variety of eco-friendly cat litters and by far my favorite is "World's Best Cat Litter" for its pleasant smell, clump-ability, and natural ingredients (corn).

"Swheat Scoop" didn't clump that well and the ammonia smell was really strong when I'd go to scoop out the frequently-falling-apart clumps. It's not very absorbent either (I wonder if they need to make the granules finer for more surface area); unless I had about six inches of it in the pan the urine would find its way to the bottom and create a caked on mess.

"Healthy Pet P-Pod Clumping Cat Litter" clumps better than "Swheat Scoop" (not as well as "World's Best") but it's very dusty; it gets tracked all over by the cats and when I'm cleaning it I have to cover my mouth and nose. The cats (three of them) don't like this litter either. We have two boxes and (we're at the tail-end of experimenting) their preference is for the one with "World's Best" in it. (12/01/2008)

By Sirius Putsch

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Pets CatsJanuary 21, 2010
A kitten sitting on a wood floor.
Cleaning Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
big cat in a car
Removing Cat Urine Smell From Car Interior
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
🎉
🎄