Save Your Old Cookware Lids

If you are re-doing your cookware, save the lids if they are in good shape. If not, take a good, long look at those pot handles and lid knobs. A lot of these items are in standard form and interchangeable.

I find it so annoying when I buy a set of cookware and the lids need to be exchanged between pots and skillets (as in I am either using the 6 qt pot or using the 12 inch skillet, but I can't cover both at the same time). This holds true for the expensive as well as the inexpensive sets.

By cookwie from Richardson, TX

You can also just make do with something else as a lid if you need two the same size. Like a glass lid to a casserole dish or a pie plate. I'm trying to break my old habit of saving things just in case. I just don't want to store an extra lid. I do understand what you mean tho and this is a helpful hint.

Please don't take this post the wrong way, I'm not criticizing the way you cook. I just thought people would like to know why skillets do not come with lids. They are meant to be used for frying or sauteing. When you fry or saute, you're not supposed to use a lid. I do understand why you would sometimes want to put a lid on a skillet, but they are not meant for that. Just thought you'd like to know why. I used to own a store that sold cookware. But I do understand why you are frustrated by this. My customer's were too, until I explained it to them. However, you can always order a lid if you really want one, or do as you suggested which is a great idea.

If I want to keep the food warm after cooking, especially if someone wants seconds, there needs to be a lid on the pan. Also, when cooking asian style, it is customary (at the last step) to add a flavorful liquid and put on the lid.

This is a good idea, also look at garage sales for more lids. especially the glass ones, it's nice to see how your food is cooking while you are holding in the heat.

A lot of recipes call for sauteing onions, etc.; then adding other ingredients and then recipe says cover and simmer. When a recipe calls for sauteing I always use my skillet; therefor I cover. So to me the comment that skillets are not made for a lid doesn't make sense. Just my opinion. Not criticizing chef4u and I'm not a chef; I just don't get it.

@chef4u, I am a dietary manager and yes, you do use a cover for skillets. It could be a safety hazard not to use a lid when frying. Hot grease can cause a terrible burn if it pops out of the pan and someone is at the stove top, also when grease pops out of an uncovered skillet and it splatters on another stove top eye that is on, it could cause a fire.

Better Living Frugal Living TipsAugust 6, 2009
Crafts Using FrozenJuice Concentrate Lids
Crafts Using Frozen Juice Concentrate Lids
Plastic Lid Photo Ornament
Uses for Plastic Lids
Plastic Lid Man
Crafts Using Plastic Lids
🎉
🎄