Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Freezing Grapes

0 0EmailFollow
A photo of frozen grapes.

A great way to preserve grapes is to freeze them. They can be used as tasty ice cubes or make for a great frozen treat on their own. This is a guide about freezing grapes.

Solutions: Freezing Grapes

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Frozen Grapes for a Sweet Treat

This summer I wanted to cut down on sugar consumption when grandkids visited. I put assorted colored grapes on wooden skewers and froze the individual skewers. Voila! Grapesicles! (Unfortunately, my husband and I loved them so much, we are now in Frozen Grape Rehab!)

By Mom L from Graham, TX

Tip: Freeze Green Grapes

Just wash and freeze green grapes. They taste fantastic and - clearly - this makes them last longer too!

By

Tip: Freezing Grapes

I take whatever seedless grape is on sale, take them off the "vine" and rinse and dry them. I put them in quart sized Ziplock and freeze them. At night when I'm watching TV I always crave something to snack on, so I eat a small bowl of frozen grates. They are terrific on a hot day in a tall glass of Orange Juice, or for a breakfast treat - try making a Mimoza (champagne and orange juice) and using frozen grapes as the "ice cube".

By Yarralumla

Tip: Freeze Grapes as a Snack

Just wanted too let you all know this, I am sure some already do, when grapes are on sale, buy them and freeze them. They make a great frozen snack. Be sure and wash them good before eating. The kids love them.

By Sue from Shoals, IN

Tip: Freezing Grapes

I've been freezing red, seedless grapes for years. I buy 10-15 lbs. at a time. I separate the grapes from the stems, place in a large colander, rinse well and then place them in another collander in layers with paper towels in between to absorb all the moisture. I then place them in quart size ziplock freezer bags. It takes a few days for all the grapes in each bag to freeze.

At times I eat them plain but for a real treat, try the following: Place about 1/2 cups worth of frozen grapes in a small bowl and add a couple of teaspoons of plain yogurt, mixing well until all the grapes have a fine coating of yogurt. This keeps the grapes from sticking together. Then add about a teaspoon full of rice pudding and mix again to coat the grapes with a bit of the rice pudding on top of the yogurt. The combination of the grapes with the light coating of yogurt and rice pudding makes a desert that's a treat by themselves, or as a desert after a meal.

When I treat friends to this special treat, they can't believe how great it tastes. They're a treat each and every time. Give it a try,you won't be dissappointed.

By BB

Tip: Freezing Grapes

I can never seem to finish a whole bag of grapes before they go bad. So, out of curiosity, I put them into a blender, pureed them, and froze the puree in small plastic containers. I didn't need to add anything else. When frozen, it's similar to an Italian ice. The small pieces of the peel add an interesting texture.

Tip: Freezing Grapes

I happen to like red flame grapes frozen. I wash the grapes, let them drain, and pat with paper towels to remove most of the water. I don't separate the grapes, I just put them in ziplock freezer bags and pop them in the freezer. They are fine for the full year.

Tip: Freezing Grapes

When seedless grapes are on sale, I buy a large quantity, keep out what I guess will be eaten and flash freeze the rest of them on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Then I dump them into a freezer bag and put back in the freezer. These grapes can be eaten frozen or thawed for a few minutes. Makes a great, healthy snack on a hot day. My grandchldren love them.

By June from Toronto, Canada

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By ann [9]04/22/2010

Frozen grapes really quelled my nausea when I had morning sickness. I think the red grapes worked better for me.

By Diane (Guest Post)10/26/2008

To the person who asked about freezing grapes for making jelly or jam. What I do is produce the juice from the concord grapes as I normally would to make my jelly or jam and then put into quart jars in the freezer until you are ready to make your jelly or jam. This 'holds' for a long time in the freezer. But usually I get too many grapes to process as jelly/jam - so this works better when I am 'ready'.

By Sammy (Guest Post)10/20/2008

I put grapes and watermelon chunks on a skewer and freeze them! These are great frozen fruit kabobs!

By Yarralumla (Guest Post)08/27/2008

I just take what ever seedless grape is on sale, take them off the "vine" and rinse and dry them - I put them in quart sized Ziplock and freeze them. At night when I'm watching TV I always crave something to snack on and so I eat a small bowl of frosen grates. They are terrific on a hot day in a tall glass of Orange Juice, or for a breakfast treat - try making a Mimoza (champagne and orange juice) and using frozen grapes at the "ice cube".

By Amy (Guest Post)03/28/2008

How long will the frozen grapes keep? Do I eventually need to toss them at some point? Thanks for any input.

By Aditya Joshi (Guest Post)02/13/2008

How much time do we require to freeze 1lb grapes (at What configuration of freezer?)

By Michelle (Guest Post)09/08/2007

Can you do this with seeded grapes? I really just want to be able to keep them for a while because we can't eat them all?

By bb (Guest Post)07/20/2007

I've been freezing red, seedless grapes for years, buying 10-15 lbs. at a time. I separate the grapes from the stems, place in a lrg. collander, rinse well and then place them in another collander in layers with paper towels in between to absorb all the moisture.
I then place them in quart size ziplock freezer bags. It takes a few days for all the grapes in each bag to freeze.
At times I eat them plain but for a real treat,try the following;

Place about 1/2 cups worth of frozen grapes in a small bowl and add a couple of teaspoons of plain yogurt, mixing well until all the grapes have a fine coating of yogurt. This keeps the grapes from sticking together.
Then add about a teaspoon full of rice pudding and mix again to coat the grapes with a bit of the rice pudding on top of the yogurt.

The combination of the grapes with the light coating of yogurt and rice pudding makes a desert that's a treat by themselves, or as a desert after a meal.

When I treat friends to this special treat, they can't believe how great it tastes.
They're a treat each and every time.

Give it a try,you won't be dissappointed.

By sherri. (Guest Post)09/09/2006

can you freeze fresh concord grapes that we have grown and then thaw and make jam???? We have like 25 lbs of them and can not can them all.

By badwater [242]08/20/2006

I do the same with banana chunks. They taste like ice cream when eaten straight from the freezer. Don't allow them to thaw before eating them. The banana chunks as well as any frozen fruit can be put into milkshakes or smoothies in your blender. Sure makes for a quickie breakfast, especially if you're on the run, or not.

By (Guest Post)04/17/2006

By Vi Johnson [231]03/23/2006

Yes , I happen to like red flame grapes frozen. I wash the grapes let them drain and pat with paper towels to remove most of the water. I don't seperate the grapes, I just put them in ziplock freezer bags and pop them in the freezer. They are fine for the full year.If they last that long. I do freeze whole strawberries in single layers as suggested.When we used to entertain we would serve the frozen strawberries in the Champagne/Sparkling Cider at the champagne Breakfasts we held in the back yard.Other wise I slice/mash the strawberries add some sugar and put them in freezer containers for when the fresh are not available. I do peaches the same way,slice sprinkle sugar & pop into freezer. GG Vi

By Katie [13]03/23/2006

I know this is a stupid question...but what is flash freezing? And can you do this with other fruits? Sounds easy enough...LOL. Thank you!

Editor's Note: If you don't know, then it's always smart to ask. Basically flash freezing is freezing quickly on a cookie sheet so the items stay separate, then putting them in another bag and back into the freezer. I don't know why it is called flash freezing. You don't want to leave them in there for more than an hour or two on the cookie sheet because you don't want them to get freezer burn or pick up odors in the freezer. By freezing them separately like that you can take a few out rather than having them all stuck together. This can be done with strawberries, blueberries and raspberries. I'm sure some other fruits also.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Frozen Grapes for a Sweet Treat

A healthful summer treat for little ones on a hot day: Give them frozen grapes! Simply freeze in a single layer in a cake pan and, when frozen, store in freezer bags. Or thread, alternating red, purple and green grapes, onto wooden skewers and freeze untill needed. They taste surprisingly good and are a better choice than popsicles which are loaded with sugar and artificial ingredients.

By Anne from Green Bay, WI

RE: Frozen Grapes for a Sweet Treat

Yum! Frozen grapes are great! I recommend them highly. :-) (07/09/2008)

By WildIrish

RE: Frozen Grapes for a Sweet Treat

Another great "hot" summer day treat is frozen watermelon chunks! (07/11/2008)

By

RE: Frozen Grapes for a Sweet Treat

Love the idea of skewers of colors - a great way to use grapes while on sale. (07/13/2008)

By kimhis

RE: Frozen Grapes for a Sweet Treat

JUST A NOTE OF CAUTION My grandson choked on a grape when about 2 years old - luckily we were right there and were somehow able to eject it - a frozen grape might be more difficult . We don't want to be killjoys but fore warned is fore armed. (07/19/2008)

By Bob Kennett