Air FreshenersCleaning Supply Recipes

Alcohol in Air Freshener Sprays

When making homemade air freshening sprays, why do I have to use 91% alcohol? What is wrong with using the 70%?

Gayle from Hoffman Estates, IL

Answers

Hello Gayle,

I have been making my homemade air freshners for years. I add two or three drops of my favourite essense oil, fill the pump spray bottle with water and add a teaspoon of Vodka. I have never heard of using one with a certain percentage of alcohol in it. This is the only way i know and it works wonderfully well.

(I did try it without the vodka and the water got quite murky- you need the vodka, of course, to act as a preservative.)

I hope this helps

Monique x