Inexpensive Raised Beds

I'd like to see some pictures of various raised veggie garden beds you have made from recycled wood or other recycled items. The ones I see in books and on line aren't recycled items (but rather made of recycled materials).

What I have made works, but is rather "ugly". I don't want to buy the beds, or buy the materials, but am hoping to repurpose items already here on the farm, trying to be thrifty!

So, I am hoping some of you can give me some good ideas! I plan on going 100% raised bed gardening this year for my veggies.

By April from NW MO

If you live in cattle country you may be able to get cattle waterers from farmers or feedlot owners. They can't use them once they have a hole, but they will hold dirt. You could raise them by putting them on 2x4's or whatever wood you have , to make them higher.

http://strawbalegardens.com/Home_Page.html

I don't know if this would be what you're looking for, but it's a great idea.

Isn't recycled wood a recycled material? And can you give us an idea of what you're using now (you say it's "ugly")?

My non-recycled raised beds are kind of boring. I live in Texas, so I was thinking about using some barn tin on the sides of my wood, and painting them with bluebonnets and other Texas wildflowers to cutesy them up.

Check out your local craigslist in the "free" section, or freecycle, for materials. I see a lot of fences taken down, the fence pickets looking quite nice but not useable for another fense, and other construction materials.

Hi April, we were lucky enough to have old rainwater tanks on our farm that were rusted out on the bottom. My husband cuts off the top and bottom, then cut them in two, he puts poly pipe slit down the middle and attaches it to the rough edges with cable ties after drilling hole all around the edge. All my beds are raised now the more tanks we find the better.Hope you have these galvanized tanks in the USA like we have here in Australia. Happy hunting gail

wood framed garden bed
Building Raised Beds
Home and Garden Gardening Raised BedsApril 2, 2011
stack of railroad ties
Using Railroad Ties for Raised Vegetable Beds
Several raised garden beds full of lush plants
Making a Raised Bed Vegetable Garden
multicolored flowerbed on a lawn
Preventing Weeds in Flower Beds
Gardening in Raised Beds
Gardening in Raised Beds
🎉
🎄