Getting Rid of Head Lice

How do I treat or find head lice?

By Melissa

A few years ago, five out of six of us got a case of lice (from a special splurge to go to the movie theater!) After much frustration, the others in the family got rid of theirs with combing lice out & over the counter items to get rid of lice. For me, the only thing that worked was to color my hair! The chemicals there took care of the lice. (the one who didn't get lice? She had very long thick hair! She prayed that she wouldn't get it & she didn't!)

Olive oil. Work into hair down to the scalp. Cover with a shower cap. Leave on while sleeping. Wash out. Dawn dish detergent does well getting it out. May have to wash multiple times. Usually best to wait 2 days and do it again. Leaves the hair shiny and soft. No harsh chemicals (that don't work) and the school nurse recommended it.

My niece had head lice while I was pregnant and gave it to me. Well I didn't have any money at the time so an old trick that I was thought was to put mayonnaise in my hair. Now remember I was pregnant so it doesn't have any bad smell. Also its not expensive.

Don't forget that you have to wash all bedding and blankets in hot water and dry in a hot dryer. Pillows and stuffed toys should be sprayed with a pesticide and put in sealed plastic bags for a few days, then aired thoroughly. Otherwise, they will keep coming back!

There is a shampoo that the doctor can prescribe to you. Also make sure that you wash your bedding and anyone else that has long hair in the house should also take preventative measures, since they jump from head to head.

The "mother lice" is a black small odd shaped thing (that you may never see, since it moves around) and lays clear eggs at the scalp of the head. Since the eggs are clear, they are difficult to see, but not impossible. If you find one egg, it is more than likely there will be other eggs in that same area. The way to kill the eggs is to pop the eggs in between your fingers (you will definitely hear them crack).

I tried many ways and finally found the method! Denorex shampoo. Make sure it is the one with coal tar in it. It stinks but it does the trick. Even rids nits without combing. About 7 dollars at Walmart, if not found there, buy at Walgreen's. Worth every penny! You will get wonderful relief and be so thankful for this stuff!

Google this shampoo and you will get wonderful testimonies from others who tried everything before and couldn't solve the problem until they discovered Denorex!

I'm out to spread the word! :>)

Linda

My 3 daughters and I had lice not long ago. It was a nightmare! I finally took them to a lice specialist and paid lots of money, but in 2 hours they did what I had been trying to do for 5 days. You don't need to spend all the money I did, though. The key is to find the right lice comb. The cheap plastic ones in the drugstore kits are worthless. The Terminator or Licemeister work wonders! We had such a bad outbreak at the school and nothing was working for anyone. Even our principal and her daughter got it. But everyone who got the Terminator was back to school in a day or two, with no nits, while those who didn't were gone for almost a week. You can find these combs online or at some kids salons. They aren't cheap, but it's cheaper than the money I spent tryng everything else.