Cleaning Silver With Products at Home

I am looking for home remedies for cleaning silver plated items.

By Carolyn from Albemarle, NC

Best Answer

I have one of those electrolitic cleaners sold on television some years ago.The instructions call for "washing soda" not baking soda.You can achieve the same results with some aluminum foil, very hot water and Arm and Hammer washing soda. You can find the washing soda in the laundry product section in your grocery store.

Best Answer

I have used barbecue sauce. Just rub it in the silver and rinse off. Works amazingly well!

Best Answer

My two favourite methods:

Make a paste of lemon juice and table salt. Use a soft cloth to dip into the paste and rub on the silver. this works best if you're maintaining the shine.

If you have a lot of tarnish, I like Tarnex. It stinks like crazy when it contacts the tarnish (a bit like rotten eggs), but it's tolerable and it works fast and easily. I keep a bottle handy as well as always having lemons and salt available.

I learned this because I have several silver goblets that are used regularly.

Line a baking pan or roaster with aluminum foil. put silver pieces in it. A haphazard pile is best so that the pieces can touch each other. Sprinkle with baking soda. Pour boiling water over it all. Watch the bubbles remove the tarnish. The baking soda reacts chemically with the aluminum when the hot water is added and it foams and bubbles away the tarnish. Works on fine silver too. Good for when don't have the time to hand polish each item.

Regular toothpaste ('not' the gel kind) works really well too and you can get a large tube at dollar stores ;-)

Cleaning Silver, Silver tea pot with an antique Chinese tea cup and saucer.
Cleaning Silver
Home and Garden Cleaning MetalMarch 29, 2010
Coiled silver bead necklace with large silver ball.
Cleaning Silver Jewelry
silver tea pot
Determining Silver Plate vs. Sterling Silver
Woman Polishing a Piece of Silver
Homemade Silver Polishing Cloths
Woman Polishing Silver
Preventing Silver from Tarnishing
🎉
🎄