Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cleaning Coffee Stain Off Plastic Carafe Lid

Anyone have any suggestions for removing coffee stains from a white plastic coffee carafe lid?

By Balber from Buffalo

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Sherry11/29/2009

For years I have used baking soda to get the coffee stains off the plastic carafe lid as well as inside the carafe. Just sprinkle enough on to make it grainy, rub with your dishcloth or a wet sponge, and rinse. Not only does the baking soda scrub off the stain, it also removes the leftover coffee smell!

By Judith08/11/2009

If you use lemon juice and sugar or salt you can clean the stain without damaging the plastic like some of the harsher cleaners can and you don't end up with a chemical smell.

By Steve Polasky08/11/2009

Very simple, just run it thru a water only brew cycle with any denture cleaning tablet (no-name ones work great). If it still needs more, then soak in overnight with two or three tablets.

By Karen [5]08/11/2009

Hi. We just did this, use dish washing liquid full strength on the stain. Disappears in seconds! Use it on the stains in your coffee mugs too!

By Rose Smith [44]08/08/2009

Try baking soda in boiling water and let the lid soak. I use that mixture for the coffee pot and it works like a charm.

By Cyinda [214]08/07/2009

My son used a capful of bleach in hot water. I bet hydrogen peroxide would work without the nasty bleach fumes. On sale, you can get 2 bottles for $1. I've used peroxide to remove "organic" stains from many surfaces, like carpeting, upholstery, clothing & counter tops. I figure if it will remove grape juice, coffee, tea & cocoa stains from these, it should also work for your problem. Just pour the peroxide into a shallow bowl then put the lid inside it. If it's to big, use either a toothbrush with peroxide on it or put the peroxide in a well-marked spray bottle. Simply let it fizz, then repeat if necessary. It leaves no residue.

Also, the tips "Jamish" posted are equally good & will also work! I guess, what works is "whatever you already have around the house".

By Pati Mishler [47]08/07/2009

Give this a try, Just mix equal parts of SALT and white vinegar, and scrub the marks away, OR Try Denture cleaning tablets, Just fill the vessel with warm water, pop in a tablet, let it dissolve, and wait a minute or two. Pour out the water and eyeball the surface. If you still see marks, repeat the procedure.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Cleaning Coffee Stain Off Plastic Carafe Lid

I am trying to clean the coffee stain off of a carafe lid. The lid is white plastic and although I have cleaned all the residue off, the plastic has been stained. Any help? I have tried everything I can think of, including denture tablets, but nothing touches it.

Laurie

RE: Cleaning Coffee Stain Off Plastic Carafe Lid

Did you try to soak it in some bleach water? I've had good luck with that method. (06/25/2005)

By Luvyabye

Try dishwasher gel. Just smear it on and let it sit overnight. If that doesn't work, cover with a double layer of paper towel or a cloth and saturate with straight bleach. Leave overnight. (06/27/2005)

Clorox Cleanup works really well on coffee and tea stains; also you could try Soft Scrub with bleach, or sit it in the sun for several hours. Good luck. (06/27/2005)

By suzi homemaker

You could try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It cleans up all kinds of stuff. (06/28/2005)

By Allison

Bar Keeper's Friend. Go to barkeepersfriend.com. I've found this product at Walmart, Bed Bath and Beyond and some grocery stores. It sells for between $2-3. (07/06/2005)

By Jennifer, CA

That new cleaner, BAM, works great on just about everything and I found it @ CVS for $1.59. It's much more expensive at the grocery stores. (12/08/2005)

By flpatty2000

I spilled coffee inside my microwave and stained it. The coffee carafe lid also was stained. I bought the Clean-n-Brite concentrate powder. Then I make 100s of bottles of cleaner by adding my own water and mixing. It also removed betadine stains from my hospital shoes. Sometimes they have free samples in the spring. (03/16/2007)

By Jeff B.

Use the OxyClean that's advertised on TV. Make a solution with a couple of tablespoons in hot water, pour into the carafe or soak the stained items in it. Within 10-15 minutes super clean. Works on stainless steel and plastic. Rinse well. (09/27/2008)

By Ed