TipsCharity

Volunteer For Something You Enjoy

Category Tips

Volunteering isn't so bad after all. Did you know that you can choose what you like to do the best? Check with your Chamber of Commerce, Hospital, the local police department, School including the local college. Pick something you would enjoy. Someone out there needs your help, but you should pick something you enjoy and don't feel guilty about it. It could lead to a secure job you never dreamed you could land.

By Ardis

Ardis, you are so right! I volunteer for a local meals-on-wheels program once a month. Once a month I stop by a senior center and pick up about 12 meals to deliver to elderly shut-ins in the community. I've been doing this for about 6 years now and I've learned so much about the little town where my kids are going to school; and I've met so many nice people that are truly appreciative just for someone to carry their lunch to them and exchange a few words on a daily basis. There are several churches and other organizations in the area that have worked out days of the week for their members to volunteer. For example, our church does Wednesdays. I'm the first Wednesday every month.

This has enriched my life! Time spent? about an hour and a half once a month. No kidding.

I'm just an ordinary person, with my kids all grown up. I wanted to do something for others but had no idea what. Until I saw the request on my hometown list for someone who knew how to craft & cook for the local Mental Health Out-patient Center. I know the basics of knitting, crocheting & sewing. And my kids, grandkids & neighbors can't wait for me to go on a 'baking spree'. I applied & got accepted. Right now we're doing handsewing (as we don't have a sewing machine). The class has 6-8 women & (occassionally a couple of men). We're not the greatest of sewers but the satisfaction & pride they show when they've completed a project is very heart-warming. The Director told me that my class has the largest number of steady attendees!! The 'Girls' are there waiting for me to show up! I've only been doing this for 6 mos. but I can't describe the glow inside to someone who hasn't experienced it.

As Mikey the little boy on the cereal commercial used to say "Try it you'll like it."

Ditto to both of above responders. I currently volunteer at a therapuetic horseback riding stable that does horseback riding for disabled people. It is so rewarding. I get to work with horses which I can't afford on my own. And I get to work physically hard which is something my daily job doesn't have.

But it's more than the work and horses, it is the internal joy I get when a student on the horses tells me "Christy, you are the best instructor I've ever had."

I've volunteered at different places in the various areas I've lived and it has ALWAYS been so satisfying.

Christy