Homemade Breakfast Gravy Mix

Does anyone have a recipe for breakfast gravy mix, like Pioneer or McCormick's Peppered Gravy Mix? My hubby loves gravy and biscuits, but we don't eat sausage or ham so we don't have drippings to make gravy with milk. I think the packaged gravy mixes are good, but expensive. I would like to find a recipe that I could make and store in a airtight container. Thanks.

By tg1227 from North Carolina

Go to About.com, and search for 'make your own mixes'--there is one that I saw there, but I can't get it to copy and paste---be sure to read the comments after each one, to see what others have tried, and any adjustments they make.

I like About.com, but not near as much as Thrifty Fun!

2 cups of evaporated milk

2 tsp salt (more or less, to your taste)

1/4 cup of flour

margarine 2 Tablespoons

ground sage

black pepper

There are two ways to make this; you can go either method, whichever you like best.

Melt the margarine in a skillet, stir in the flour. gradually add in the evaporated (condensed) milk, stir until it starts bubbling.

The sage gives it that "sausage" flavor without the associated meat. poultry seasoning will also work (poultry seasoning usually has a bunch of sage in it's mix).

If you want it to taste really yummy, brown the flour first. This can be done by carefully stirring a bunch of flour around in a skillet until the color starts to change. then cool it off. I generally make a couple cups of the browned flour and store in a jar for a ready supply. It's a little time-consuming, but you would be surprised at how much this will improve the flavor of about any type of sauce or gravy.

Please Note: you can also do this recipe with regular milk, it still works, it just doesn't taste as "rich".

If you are really pressed for time, a can of mushroom soup with 1/2 the water added and a pinch of sage will also work. doesn't taste quite the same, but it is pretty good.

Food and Recipes Recipes Copycat SaucesAugust 23, 2009
Homemade Gravy
Thickening Homemade Gravy
Photo of brown gravy on a turkey sandwich.
Homemade Brown Gravy Recipes
Plate of food covered in gravy.
Gravy Making Tips and Tricks
Chex Mix
Homemade Chex Mix Recipes
🎄