My Frugal Life: Cooking From Scratch

contest winner icon

When our children were growing up we had very little extra money. We got clothes and shoes from the thrift shop and only bought groceries that were on sale. We had barely enough each month to pay our bills. We hardly ever ate at fast food restaurants. All meals were cooked from scratch.

I got a call one day from a man that was in a wholesale food business in Richmond. He told me he could save me money on food every month. I was entering all my checking data into the computer and I told him when I finished I'd be glad to compare with him so I could save money on food.

He called back 2 days later and I had my information written out. He wanted to know how many meatless meals we had and I told him they ate meat every meal. The discussion continued and he finally got around to asking me how much per person I was spending each month. The total came out to $65.00 a month per person. He quickly said "I'm sorry ma'am I can't beat that."

I was a bit bewildered and yet happy that I was among the very few who made food from scratch and saved money.

By Glenda from Gordonsville, VA

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

Please write a book and let us know how you do it.

I have to agree I cook everything from scratch. But being that I live in Maine things are higher in cost. But wow that is amazing 65.00 a month per person. I have a family of four and well with all the food products here we have going on I have to say about for just food alone 600.00 a month and for toiletries the same so 1200.00 dollars a month is our average here.

I would love you to write a book I think we can all learn from it and probably some of those great recipes too :)

How many years ago was it that were you able to feed a family for a month for $65 per person? (You mentioned that it was when your children were growing up.)

Excellent advert for homecooking Glenda! We very very rarely eat out and I have finally managed to persuade my children that homecooked is definitely better! It is certainly always cheaper.