Product Review: Americraft Cookware

Don't ever buy Americraft cookware. It cost a lot more than what it is worth. If you see a demo of this cookware run, don't walk away.

By Gloria from Metairie, LA

Could you please explain what you're unhappy about with this cookware?

This cookware is expensive and you probably will need to change the way you cook in order to use it effectively. "Waterless" means steam that works all right with vegetables (though no better than in conventional pots) and the "medium heat" required is a change from the high heat usually recommended for searing steak, chops, and hamburger. Higher than 350-degrees discolors the cookware. Meat turns gray, not crisp and appealing as with conventional grilling. Of course, you can correct this by sprinkling dark seasonings or rubs and creating sauces -- but why bother?

Many of the recommended recipes require hours of cooking time, which takes all afternoon instead of 45 minutes before dinner. Although the sales points were environmental, this cooking time uses more electricity and seems less efficient than on my gas range. Cleaning these pots and pans requires repeated washing, scrubbing and rinsing, therefore more water. It also requires a special stainless-steel polishing liquid to remove spots and smudges -- after every use. This takes more time than we're used to.

An emotional reason we purchased this cookware was that we were told it supports 8,000 jobs in West Bend, Wisconsin, where the products are manufactured. A Google search turns up information that this company has "5 to 9 employees" in West Bend, with a sales and marketing operation in Florida. We're suffering buyers' remorse, now, feeling a bit flim-flammed, and still can't figure how exactly to assemble that chopper.

I purchased the smaller set and my husband and I love it. It does everything it said it would at the demonstration. Much more flavor on the veggies, quick cook (15 min) on frozen chicken breast and potato. We're still learning how to use everything, and apparently are not adept at the grater so are still working through it. Clean up is a whiz, provided you read the instructions and do as they say. I was a bit skeptical, but am glad that I took the plunge and bought it!

We have had the cookware for years and absolutely love it. It's funny how people will post negative but not much positive. If you'd read the cookbook and use the cookware properly, you won't have any problems. It's called "operator error".

Ours cleans easily, makes the food taste great, uses only low heat most of the time and the highest we have ever gone is medium. It's saved us hundreds of dollars in energy savings and meat shrinkage. The food cooks fast just like the demo we saw.

A lot of our friends and family have the cookware and rave about it! We know of people who have been using it for over 40 years and will never cook with anything else.

Sure it's more money than regular cookware, but we got what we paid for. If you want the best, get yourself a set of this cookware. You'll never regret it. My cholesterol even dropped to a healthy level after using the cookware for about 2 months and I've always had high numbers. This cookware is the best investment we ever made.

I saw the demo, and knowing there was a huge mark-up, I bought the 10" Electric Skillet on eBay for $230. Everything I cooked stuck to the bottom horribly. I was kicking myself. Two years later, I told the demonstrator this, and he said, "you have the heat too high" and I got to thinking: YouTube! Again and again the videos say that once the lid can spin, turn it down low. And you know what?

Now I love it!

I drop frozen chicken in there with no cooking spray or oil, put on the lid, and reduce the temp after it vapor locks. Not a drop of seasoning, and it's still flavorful and moist, in half the time of a regular pan. Cleanup is a cinch by pouring some cold water in while still hot, and gently scraping with a metal spatula (I can't do that with my other pans).

Not a scam, just over priced.

Using Cookware
Cookware Tips and Product Reviews
Consumer Advice Product Reviews KitchenDecember 8, 2009
woman brushing a cat
Product Review: FURminator
A badly burned stainless steel pan
Cleaning Stainless Steel Cookware
two young African American women with curly hair
Product Review: S Curl - Curl Activator
🎉
🎄