Removing Car Grease Stains From Clothing

When making your own car repairs you can get grease on your clothing. This is a guide about removing car grease stains from clothing.

My wife managed to get caught up on the car towball which had grease on it. Her new jacket isn't looking too new now, it's a light tanny color and made up of 66% acrylic, 20% nylon & 14% wool. Any advice besides buy a new one would be greatly appreciated.

When cleaning mechanic's uniforms where they wipe their greasy hands; what kind of detergent is supposed to be used?

By Zack from Chicago, IL

Try rubbing lard ( shortening) into the stain and then wash as normal, it may take a few attempts, but the grease in the lard/shortening will eventually take out all the oil stains.

Another old method of removing grease and paint from work clothes is to wash them separately using [electric] dishwasher detergent...it's pretty harsh on clothing, so don't wash the everyday clothing with this method...

Washing up liquid. It also gets sudocream out of clothes, too!

Try WD40. I'd spray it on and let it set for at least a half hour. It works at taking out sharpy marks off clothes and also tar on car surfaces without damaging the surface. Good luck.

Use gain pebbles two cups of cheap pine cleaner and regular detergent now the gain pebbles are only for fresh scented clothing

How do I get car grease out of a Gorte-Tex jacket?

By Cristina

Please help. My son has a brand new all white cotton hoodie and it has what looks like car grease stains on it. Since I wash everything inside out, I didn't realise that it was stained until it had been laundered and dried. Is it too late to do anything? If there is a chance of salvaging it, please don't give me brand names as more than likely, I won't know what you are talking about since I don't live in the U.S.

At the moment it is soaking in a mild solution of bleach, but nothing seems to be happening, and the stains are still there.

Thank you in advance.

By cettina from Malta, Europe

Answers:

Removing Grease Stains from Clothing

My daughter said that she tried Resolve Spray on a grease stain that had been washed and dried and it took the grease out. I have not tried it, but you can get it at grocery stores. I also use Awesome Spray from the Dollar Store on many items as it works a lot of times when nothing else will. (01/24/2011)

By reverendmom

Removing Grease Stains from Clothing

My husband works a lot with oil and grease and sometimes I don't catch the stains before I dry. I have found that you have to put the oil back in the stain to get the stain out. Put a little amount of grease (cooking oil or I use WD40 if you have it) let it sit for about an hour. Then rub dishwashing liquid into it. I use Dawn, but any degreaser that you use to wash dishes will work. Use a lot and make sure it gets all around the stain and completely through the stain. Let it sit for an hour then wash in cold water. The stain will be gone! (01/24/2011)

By michele_kris

Removing Grease Stains from Clothing

I don't think bleach will do anything for this. You must contend with the grease. Try to find out from your son what these stains were. If it is indeed car grease, products that mechanics use for hand cleaning may be helpful. Since you say the product names are of no use to you, I won't suggest any. Other posters have suggested a product called Goo-gone, which comes in a small bottle and useful for taking sticky residue such as the goo from labels stuck on things. We these products at our hardware stores or in the laundry aisles of the grocery stores. Go see what is there and read labels. I have had good luck with grease stains using a citrus/orange liquid. Have a look for that type of thing. Or you could try WD40, which I would bet is a world wide brand, you get it in hardware or automotive stores. It is an automotive product. Mechanics use it to remove rust for stuck on bolts. (01/25/2011)

By louel53

Removing Grease Stains from Clothing

I use Goop hand cleaner on stains of any kind. It's the hand cleaner for mechanics, you can get it just about anywhere. It has never harmed any clothing. You put it on grease, stains, anything, it works every time.

Jenny (01/25/2011)

By jenwa17

Removing Grease Stains from Clothing

Thanks so much for all your help. I don't use a dryer, everything is line dried, indoors or outdoors depending on the weather, so at least it didn't have any heat from a dryer to set in the stain. WD-40 is easily found here and I will try it plus use the dishwashing liquid as well to see how it works. Once again, thriftyfun members came through with excellent suggestions! (01/25/2011)

By cett

Removing Grease Stains from Clothing

Just to let all you helpful people know, I tried WD-40 then used Fairy washing up liquid (which is almost the same as your Dawn detergent), then washed and line dried the hoodie as usual, and it worked! Thank you all so much for helping me to rescue the hoodie! (01/26/2011)

By cett

How can I remove car grease from clothes. I work in a auto garage.

Brad from OH

Answers:

Be careful if you use Crisco vegetable shorting. It works great, but if you let it sit you will have the grease out, but huge discolorations where the spots used to be. Just ask my husband. He tried this idea and thinking that the longer the better. It's not always the best. (08/20/2006)

By

My daughter just found a large black grease stain, from our car, on a white nylon jacket. She used Oxi Clean Laundry Stain Remover Spray, and scrubbed it with a paper towel. To our relief, the grease is completely gone. (01/19/2007)

By Mary

My son's cream cargo pants were covered in bike oil splashes, nothing removed it except good old household soap, it really does work. (04/25/2007)

By whitey39

Spray grease stains with WD-40. It will "loosen" and reactivate the oils.

Let it sit a bit, then apply Dawn dish soap to break up the grease, work it in, rinse, then launder as usual. (06/30/2007)

By TheyGrewAgain

I was told to try the can of Coke in my son's uniforms (auto oil and grease), however it was unsuccessful. (02/01/2008)

By Liz37388

My kids just got car grease on their jackets. I went a bit nuts when I saw it. Then I looked it up to see what can I do to remove it. All I did was dishwashing soap and baking soda, also a bit of Shout. Work them in a paste and scrub with toothbrush, it's all gone. (02/22/2008)

By Grace

MeanGreen works awesomely, too. Removes car grease, food stains, diesel smoke, diesel fuel, nastiness from steel mills, and anything else you can possibly imagine. Anything that a truck driver can possibly bring dragging home it removes it, trust me. He had all kinds of stains in his clothes until I discovered spraying the clothes with MeanGreen works wonders. (02/29/2008)

By Danielle

I guess it might depend on the kind of grease stain as I just tried using vegetable oil without any luck. But my "Tough on Grease" dish washing up liquid worked a treat. Thanks. (07/05/2008)

By Tennille

To remove grease stains from clothing (black grease from vehicles) use bathing soap - the milder the better! Works like a charm.

By Rukhmin

Answers:

I have cleaned Grease from jeans with pure vegetable shortening, and it worked ok, but I found that Mechanics Hand Cleaner works everytime. I taught my son at age 10 to do his own laundry and he used the hand cleaner at Auto Mechanics class. His teacher complimented me on the idea because if it'll take grease off your hands why not off your clothes. I use a good stiff brush like a fingernail brush after letting the cleaner soak in a little while, then wash as usual. (04/09/2004)

By tigerlil234

Removing Auto Grease and Oil from Clothes

This one is mainly for you shade tree mechanics. To remove oil, grease or diesel or any other auto type oils from clothing just add a can of coke that's right you heard me "coke" with your normal wash detergent and wash as usual. I learned this in the army after replacing numerous uniforms at expensive costs now all I do is wash with coke.

By Bryan Marchant (01/29/2005)

By ThriftyFun

WD40

My husband got black grease from the trailer hitch on a brand new pair of shorts. I sprayed it with WD40 let it sit for a few minutes and then scrubbed with a bit of dishwashing detergent. It came right out. (08/07/2006)

By Joanne