Coffee Grounds as Mulch

Added leftover coffee grounds to my tomato plants and wow, they are growing gigantic!

By lrrn567 from Bristol, CT

Would someone please explain the eggshell thing in the coffee grounds? I have heard about people using this for years, but I can't figure out what the purpose is. It sounds terrible to me.

To Luann: Dried eggshells can be added to tomato soil to add calcium, which helps prevent blossom end rot.

July 23, 2009 Flag

I learned this at a national coffee chain and it really works. Using your USED coffee grounds is a great mulch providing nitrogen to plants. I saved my room-mates nearly dead plant with coffee and TLC.

By kathleen

Coffee Grounds as Mulch

Starbucks Coffee Chain offers FREE bags of used coffee grounds for you to pick up and take home for your gardens!! Only during the spring and summer months; I believe. Check it out in your area!! (09/19/2005)

By Rene'

Coffee Grounds as Mulch

Makes great sense. I keep a "garbage" pail on the counter (covered) for use to hold coffee grounds, egg shells, etc. (09/22/2005)

By Dee

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceJuly 23, 2009
ground coffee
Uses for Coffee Grounds
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
Picture of garden mulch.
Getting Rid of Mold on Mulch
ground coffee
Using Coffee Grounds in the Garden