Scratch Marks on Cream Leather Sofa

I have got a kitten who has left claw marks on my cream leather sofa, Please can you help me with any ideas on how to cover marks.

My sofa is 4yrs old and still looks brand new as I keep it covered. but some how the kitten has marked it. Please help.
Kind Regards

I'd look for a shoe polish to match your sofa. Take a tiny bit on a Q-tip and apply it to the scratches. Then take a soft cloth and buff it out. That should help them to look less obvious. Little kittens have very sharp claws. It would be good to get the kitten a good scratching post and cover the sofa while the kitten is getting past its early life.

- Susan from ThriftyFun

I work in a furniture store and we've used the shoe polish too. If that doesn't work you can also try colored chalkboard chalk, it will color the raw leather below. There are two wonderful furniture grade repair kits out there too, one from a manufacturer called Guardsman and the other, Mohawk. If you can find them they might have repair kits for the leather.

I learned a long time ago to clip kitty toenails. You must be careful to not cut too far into the nail or it will bleed. I use finger nail clippers. Taking just the tip off will help. Do a search on cat toenails and maybe you can get better advice on how much to clip. If you can see a pink vain that is too close. I have 3 cats and regularly do them. Good luck.

hi kelly i have the same problem with my kitten except its my landlords couch arghhh, but i have just been searching the internet and found a site called it offers a leather repair kit for the cost of £20 it says it works for cat scratches seems ok but i wont be trying it till december when we move out, so cant tell you if its any good, if you cant find the website try going to google and typing in leather repair kits.

good luck

March 22, 20080 found this helpful is a great site for selection of leather polish colors. My cats are inside/outside cats so I NEVER cut their nails. They need them to climb trees in an emergency. Besides, the more you clip, the more they need to scratch which sharpens their nails. I gave them a scratching post inside and that helps somewhat. I have the same problem with a few scratches on my midnight blue leather sofa and found this site above which has the best color selection.

For anyone out there trying to repair cat scratches or claw marks/picks, Find out what type of leather you have or are working on. We consider this type of service; sergical repair, because it takes a long time and is very tedious just to patch up the damage. After you make your repairs place your dye or pigment over damaged areas only. Don't try to cover the entire section of leather unless the overall piece is damaged.

For more info on leather:

or email:

Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceOctober 18, 2004
A pregnant woman rubbing cream in her belly to prevent stretch marks.
Preventing Stretch Marks
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
Scuffed Leather Shoes
Removing Scuff Mark on Leather Shoes
End of a leather sofa with a lapton on seat.
Cleaning a Leather Sofa