LaundryCleaning

Preventing Laundry from Fading

What can I do to not have my colors fade during washes?

By Ishraga from Chicago, IL

Wash in cold water. Dry as little as possible (I personally think that fades the clothes more than washing, some of my blouses I hang to dry). You can turn things inside out before washing, it supposedly helps. Don't wash as much! I re-wear blouses that don't have spots. Occasionally pants, but not as much as shirts and blouses. Not a thing wrong with "spot washing" by hand an otherwise clean shirt. (And no, my clothes don't smell!)

Wash them inside out.

Use another detergent, one that protects colors, it will have that in the name. Years ago my mother washed a pair of pajamas I'd just gotten for Christmas and after it was dried it had faded terribly. I found out Tide, which was her detergent, was known for doing this. Also wash in cold water.

Be sure you are not using a laundry detergent that contains bleach. These would fade clothes. Change to a detergent that advertises itself as "colorfast". Clothes also fade if you wear them in strong sunlight a lot.

To keep colors from fading, an inexpensive and safe tip is to add 1 cup of vinegar to your wash. It also softens your clothes so I don't have to use dryer sheets.

By Debbie N

How do you keep red clothing from fading in the wash?

By Peggy from Pascagoula, MS

Answers:

Preventing Laundry from Fading

I wash my "reds" in cold water by themselves and dry them for a short time. (03/11/2010)

By keeper60

Preventing Laundry from Fading

I would soak it in equal parts white vinegar and water for several hours to set the dye, then wash in cold water. This should stop the bleeding. If not, do it a second time. The vinegar smell will wash right out. (03/15/2010)

By mary1day

Preventing Laundry from Fading

Add salt to the wash. (03/15/2010)

By CAKEDEC

Preventing Laundry from Fading

I turn reds, blacks and other bolds inside out and wash in cold water. (03/15/2010)

By Deeli

How do I prevent clothing and other laundry from fading when washed?

By Debra

Answers:

Preventing Laundry from Fading

I usually wash in cold water with a gentle detergent, clothes turned inside out and vinegar instead of fabric softener. Most of these and more tips are also here: http://housekeeping.about.com/od/laundry/tp/8colorfadetips.htm

I have heard to line dry instead of putting in the dryer if possible. But I wouldn't leave out in high sun as sun can also bleach out clothes some. Cheer and Woolite also sell laundry detergent types made for keeping color bright or darks dark. (02/07/2010)

By Kaelle

Preventing Laundry from Fading

If you are using a laundry soap with bleach, this may cause fading as well. (02/09/2010)

By louel53

Preventing Laundry from Fading

I have switched to Woolite and although it is more expensive than other brands, my clothes are brighter, softer and look like new. I also use vinegar as a rinse. My water is hard and believe me, I am excited about the results. (02/10/2010)

By Pennypacer