AdviceRecipes

What to Serve with Chile?

My husband and I both love cooking chile - and have lots of variations on this theme. However we nearly always serve it with plain rice and I wondered if anyone had any ideas of more interesting accompaniments?...I have a pot on the stove at the moment and would love to make something a bit different tonight!

Many thanks to you all in advance.

Julie near London

Peanut Butter Sandwiches or Peanut Butter With Crackers

Anonymous

Okay, you are making me hungry! You could serve french fries or baked potatoe with the chile. Here in Ontario, we have chile fries and baked potatoes with chile on top. Very good! Macaroni and cheese or Kraft dinner is a favourite of mine as well with chile. Garlic bread and salad would be delicious, as well. My midnight snack time is getting moved up to 11 p.m. tonight..........!

http://www.teapotcottage.com

Hi Julie,

We make our own chili, then serve it on flour tortillas with salsa, sour cream, lettuce, and tomatoes. We add avocado if we can get one for less than an arm and a leg.

I've also served it with a good green salad and french bread.

Susan from ThriftyFun

Cornbread is AWESOME with chili topped with cheddar and sour cream!

The traditional item to accompany chili would be corn bread, however, a couple options, that keep with the hispanic theme, could be mexican rice or a taco salad (layer a bowl with corn chips, then a little of the hamburger kept aside when starting the chili, some tomato, a little re-fried beans, lettuce, cheese and a creamy salad dressing. The warm meat w/ the texture of crunchy corn chips and the cold tomato and lettuce (maybe a little red onion) - very lively addition.

Chili is good served over egg noodles or macaroni. My family likes macaroni best!! You can dress it up with sour cream, cheese, chives, or add a little extra red pepper if you like it hotter (the pasta cools it down a little).

two things come to mind. Spagetti- chili served over the spagetti becomes cinninatti chili. I have no idea if folks from cininatti claim it or not. I saw the idea in a cookbook. My family loves it. my favorite way is with cinnamon rolls. my high school cafeteria served cinnamon rolls with chili that is one day I did not pack my lunch. My favorite way to make cinnamon rolls is to make your favorite bread roll out and spread with butter, sugar and cinnamon. take a pan and pat some brown sugar on the bottom. add the rolls. the secrect is to pour real cream over the top of the rolls before baking. It makes the best carmel cinnamon rolls.

Corn chips. Like Fritos. Awesome with chili

Blue Corn Chips...or the same with Lime or with hot pepper sprinkled. A make your self salad is always good because those that are brave can put it over their chile. Cheese is a must, along with green olives, sour cream, tomatoes chopped, green chiles that are diced, all these things just add to the yummy taste. If you are making the chile I hope you are adding 2-3 Tablespoons plain cocoa which distinguished true tex-mex from truly red American chile. This is for 1-1/2 cups of meat, your choice. The other things are chopped onions, the same green chiles diced, cocoa, 3 tablespoons of chile powder(medium hot). Anything that is an herb should be purchased from a spice shop at your local farmer's market since the prices are so much more realistic there. Bon Appetit

A family I know served chili over mashed potatoes instead of rice. Was strange at first, but good.

Growing up my mother always made mashed potatoes when she made her chili. I like it that way or just love to eat a bowl of chili with a hunk of homemade bread. Yummy! When there is a just a small amount left, serve it on baked potatoes. Also yummy. And I also have a friend who had to add some macoroni to her chili so that her kids would eat it.

We make pimento cheese sandwiches and peanut butter sandwiches to go with chili. I had friends from West Virginia that put mashed potatoes in a bowl and then added chili on top of them. I also like cornbread.

I agree on the cornbread. Put your chili in a baking dish, make a Jiffy cornbread mix (very inexpensive), spread it on top the chili and bake as directed on the box. Makes a meal in one pan- filling and tasty.

I still love to make chili even though I'm now down to a household of one: just me! I make it in the crockpot, and the first day I have a meal of chili on chips -- first, put down a layer of corn chips (or left over taco shells) on your plate, then put on the chili. After the chili comes lettuce, tomatoes (if I have fresh), green pepper (if I have fresh), shredded cheddar cheese, olives, taco or picante sauce or salsa, and finish off with sour cream. It's soooo delicious!

Then the next day I just have plain chili, or topped with a bit of cheese or sour cream, with some soda crackers, cheesey creackers, or toasted bread with garlic butter.

Then I freeze the rest in individual servings in zip lock SANDWICH bags, and put all the filled SANDWICH bags in a large freezer bag. (Sandwich bags cost less than freezer bags and by double bagging, I can preserve the freezer bag (without washing it) for another use. I do this with cookies, hot dishes, family packages of meat separated into single servings, etc., too.

Also, by freezing individual portions, I can share this with a neighbor in my apartment building, or send some home with one of my single sons.

Hope "my way" helps someone out there.