Meals For One Or Two

Tips and recipes for cooking for one or two people from our ThriftyFun community.

Share With A Neighbor

I'm used to eating out but my new husband is used to cooking for his large family (no longer living with him). It's almost impossible to learn to cook for one or two when you're used to cooking for a crowd. It's just the two of us and because of his health, he has to eat 3 square meals a day and snack a lot. We live too far out in the country to eat out. For the past several years, we've overcooked and thrown away a lot of food weekly. He won't eat leftovers and I have to watch my weight.

For the past few months, we have been sharing a plate daily with our single next door neighbor. He can barely afford to eat, so it's been a thrill for him and us sharing our food with him. In return, he helps us with our yardwork. I know this may not sound too frugal to some people but it sure works for us.

Only problem now is he just moved away and now we need to find someone else to share with. Surely there's a single person, or struggling single mom, or elderly person in your area you could share with.

By Darween

Freeze Portions For Future Meals

Make any dish or casserole for 4-6 people and freeze the remainder in separate containers for separate meals.

By Cougar

Check At Library For Cookbooks And Other Ideas

There are numerous cookbooks available for one/two cooking that you can check out of the library and peruse. But some of the simplest things to do are taking something like meatloaf and making them into 1/4 pound football shapes. Bake them up and you have 2 meals for you and hubby. Also chicken breast are great, boneless/skinless can be breaded and then baked at 400 degrees F for about 18 minutes. Two pork chops fried up and then covered with a can of cream of mushroom soup and simmered for about 15 minutes is another great entree.

By Mari

Websites

Do you have any more tips for cooking for one or two? Post them below.

A good friend and I do something like that also. We both are a family of four. One of us will make a cake and we split it, less on each of our hips. LOL Also, we do it with main dishes, etc. Usually we provide lunch for our hubby's the next day. The other day we had too much breakfast casserole and her boys gobbled it up.

We have each introduced new recipes to both families because of this.

I also find it difficult to cook for two. My DH and I have put on a bit of weight since we have been together. So, what I've started doing is plating up the food instead of bringing all of it to the table. Usually I can split the food in three portions & sometimes four! Just think we were eat much more than we should have. Now I put the extras in single portions in the freezer. Great for times when one of us is not home for dinner or when we don't fell like cooking.

With some foods this might not work, for example with hamburgers. A few days ago I had a craving for hamburgers. Since the rolls come in fours, I split the ground beef into four patties. Made two which we ate, then put the two remaining un cooked patties in small freezer bag & put this bag into a larger bag with the two extra buns! Next time I want hamburgers, I have th patties & the buns together!

Food and Recipes Recipes AdviceMarch 7, 2007
Cooking for Two
Cooking for Two Recipes
Two Ingredient Cake
Two Ingredient Cake Recipes
Baking Two Cake Flavors
Baking Two Cake Flavors in One Pan
A mother showing her son how to crack an egg.
Teaching Kids to Cook
🎉
🎄