Cleaning Up Pet Hair

Summer is almost here and so is cat shedding time. This is a tip to keep the animal hair cleaned up. Take a piece of terry cloth (I use old towels cut up) wet a good size piece, and wring it out. Wrap it around four fingers and rub it in a circular motion. Lift up after about four motions, and you will be amazed at the cat hair you have picked up. Take the hair off the rag, and do it again and again. This works on couches, cloth chair seats, bedspreads, and in the car, anywhere!

By letageraldine from Tucson, AZ

It is shedding and blowing time (getting rid of the undercoat) for my German Shepherds. I use a wonderbroom, a swiffer and fabric softener diluted with water, four parts water one part fabric softener on the carpet. I don't soak it just a light coat to keep static down, and a Bissel Cleanview II Bagless(the BEST Vacuum I have ever had and I have had an expensive Kirby.)

Also a furminater type tool that helps on dogs with a lot of under coat and shedding to not have skin problems.

That sounds like a good idea, the terry cloth idea~! I use those on the bottom of my swiffer. I love the swiffer but don't buy the swiffer pads or especially the swiffer solution when I can make it out of dish detergent diluted with water or vinegar diluted with water or even pine sol for that matter.

Robyn

I have found using rubber gloves very good for removing pet hair from material on lounge suites etc.Just put the glove on and wipe along the furniture in a slow firm wipe motion and the pet fur forms a ball which is easy to get rid of.

I like to use a plain old fashioned bristle brush. These days it's hard to find a hairbrush that doesn't have bristles made out of hard plastic or metal, but if you can find a regular soft (plastic) bristle brush, you can brush your clothes or sofa & the hair comes right up!

I have two cats and have this problem when it gets warm especially since they are shedding their winter coats. Thanks for tip. Will use for sure.

Your idea sounds like a good one. And there is nothing to buy for this idea! Thanks for sharing.

I don't have a pet anymore but when I did, I used a mister sprayer and just used my hand in a circular motion. I got a lot of it up that way without saturating the fabric.

I have no cats, but three mid-to-large dogs (one a mastiff.) Need to try this, as they all shed and it aggravates my allergies. Thanks for this thrifty tip!Oops. Forgot to add: I suspect, if you add a few drops of something like white vinegar, you'll be deodorizing while you dehair.