Removing Rubber Carpet Back From Cement Floor

How do I get carpet rubber backing off of a cement floor?

By Claudio

My father-in-law used an ice chopper (like you use on sidewalks) to scrape his off. It seemed to work pretty well but I think he could have used one with a wider blade.

It depends on the glue that was used. I have had luck using a blow-dryer and/or a heat gun to warm up the glue-backing that was on the back of carpet tile (this also works for removing linoleum & vinyl flooring tiles). Open a window & use care! You don't want to set a fire or breathe the fumes from the hot carpeting. Just warm it up a tiny bit, don't get the carpeting very hot! You can use a paint scraper as a tool, & hold it with an oven mitt.

Long ago, I had a friend in the 1970's that tried to remove the glue that they used to glue her indoor-outdoor carpeting to the floor with. She never did get it off & instead she had new carpeting laid over the glue.

We used a tile scraper. It is a tool much like a hoe only with a flat blade.

My husband inadvertently discovered that getting it really wet loosened the glue. Then he used a scraper to work it off by hand. It was the water did the trick - the wetter, the better. (Though I'd try a section of your floor first. I'd imagine that it'd depend on your glue.)

I need help. I want to change the flooring in my basement, but when I pulled the carpet up, I discovered that the previous owners laid rubber back carpet on the cement. It has left the rubber on the floor in huge patches that I have, as yet, been unable to remove. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to remove rubber backing from a cement floor? Thanks in advance for any help.

Mel from NS, Canada

Answers:

We remodel a lot of homes. The only way I have had luck is by scraping. I bought a 4 inch razor blade scraper at the lumber yard and it worked great. It had long handle on it, also. They aren't too expensive. (09/14/2007)

By Ledda

Maybe there is adhesive under that rubber. Goo Gone makes a spray that you can put on adhesive to remove. Then all you will need to do is scrape it off. Check your local home improvement stores. Will make the job a lot easier. If you think it is just stuck, then I think I would try vinegar and water to soak a bit and then scrape with a putty knife. (09/15/2007)

I had the same thing happen to me, I used water. You can't hurt the concrete floor with water, so just pour the water onto the sponge and let it soak up, leave it on for 15 minutes. You can work in patches going back and forth. You still have to scrape, but it is much easier. If you can find a long handled scraper, the kind they use to remove tile, it will save on your back. (09/16/2007)

By PICO

I recently borrowed a little portable steamer from a friend to remove masking tape on wood floors. The tape had been along the floor moldings I painted years ago. It lifted the tape up great and then I scraped with a putty knife. I used Goo-Gone for the sticky residue. This may be your answer if the foam is rather thick and hard to remove. (09/16/2007)

By frugalelf

Water worked a treat, following the initial scrape, water softened the residue and we were able to virtually brush it off with a broom. Thanks for the tip PICO. (02/14/2009)

By VickiH