Musty Smell on Old Curtains

I got a pair of old, silky feeling oriental curtains from my great grandmother about a week ago. I love them, the problem is they smell. I have washed them three times; using detergent the first, detergent and dish washing liquid (someone told me to try that) the second, and the third, letting them soak, then washing them in a mix of the detergent, dish soap, and half a bottle of fabreze. So far, nothing has worked, please help me with this.

Nervarah

Try soaking them overnight with a cup of vingar in the water. Drain and wash with reg. deterg.

You might try soaking them in vinegar & water. Vinegar takes lots of odors out.

Wash them in a mixture of (1/2 cup baking soda & 1/2 cup white vinegar). Soak them overnight in the washer...full of water with this mixture added. Wash. Hang them in fresh air to dry. This ought to do the trick. Good luck!

I agree with the vinegar.... periodically DD leaves clothes in the washer for several days... and they smell... just wash with about a cup of vinegar and no more odors...

We have 4 inside dogs, so I keep a bowl of vinegar in different rooms of the house... no dog odors at all.. especially after rain and the dog smell is really bad..

you might try adding a cup of borax to the soaking water. it gets urine smell out of mattresses, so...also line dry in the sun on a breezy day.

or if the curtains are of good quality, you might consider investing in having them dry cleaned.

Toss about a 1/2 cup to a full cup of baking soda into the washer when laundering, and add 1 cup of white vinegar to the rinse cycle. Hang to dry in the fresh air. Also, try using Gain laundry detergent when you launder the curtains. It has a good reputation for even getting out the smell of smoke from house fires.