Stain Remover For Set-In Stains

Tips and ideas for removing set in stains from clothing. Post your ideas below.

I use a week long OxyClean soak. I routinely soak my dishtowels and dish cloths for a week in OxyClean plus some of my band members really stained t-shirts, a bedspread that had been used outdoors etc. - all with set in stains. The gold cotton bedspread did lighten up a bit but it was even and a huge stain that had been washed and dried for years came out! I use a half cup of powder to 5 gallon bucket of hot/warm water.

I've gotten the best results from OxyClean powder. I make a paste, rub it into the stain, let it set for a while, then wash it. It may take two or three tries, but the stain always comes out.

I buy and sell vintage linens. Lots of stains, some 50+ years old! Oxyclean works well but I really like Biz powder (there is a liquid but I like powder better).

Trick is to fill a bucket with hot water, dissolve a good sized scoop of Biz, stir, and add the item. Leave for as long as it takes to get the stain to leave. Two days, seven days, whatever. It never hurts the fabric. If water turns a very nasty tea color,it is working, pour water off, fill with hot water and keep soaking. If you have to pour off a few times, add a bit more Biz (I don't like the liquid Biz as much as it is blue colored so harder to see if the Biz is pulling out the stains).

If stains are especially bad, add some Tide with bleach alternative to the water too. That doubles the punch of the Biz.

This removes 50 year old coffee stains off of tablecloths and napkins and removes all the grime and dirt of being stored that long.

Make sure to rinse the Biz/tide off very very well or you end of with some of the smudge going back on fabric as long lines or drips.

Another tip that works for really really hard to remove stains like tea, only if fabric is white of course, is soak stain in lemon juice and put out in the sun. That usually will do it to remove the stain. Of course rinse it well after the stain has bleached out.

Does this work even on brightly colored fabrics?

Help! I was in a hurry washing my husband's work shirts (plumber) and I forgot to flip them inside out!

I accidentally washed and dried them all and now the stains are set in. What do I do? I have oxyclean powder, and his scent free detergent (he's allergic to the scents in regular detergent) and I can't use vinegar because I'm allergic to it. Help? They all look like this!

Red Jello stain: I made a paste out of OxyClean powder and Baking Soda to remove a red jello stain that had dried on a beige tee-shirt. I brushed the paste in with a toothbrush and let it sit for a while (I had already tried Shout and vinegar which didn't work). I tossed it into the wash and "Hurray!" It worked! This even worked on a Mustard Stain on the same shirt! Don't know which combination worked but I'm a happy camper! Thanks for the tips. By Rosie

how to get dry nail polish out of a white comforter

Home and Garden Cleaning StainsJanuary 4, 2010
Nail Polish Remover Stain on Leather
Fixing Nail Polish Remover Stains on Leather
Homemade Varnish Remover, Up close photo of varnished wood.
Homemade Varnish Remover
Kerosene
Using Kerosene for Stains
Laundry supplies.
Homemade Stain Remover Recipes
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 19, 2017 at 8:09:31 PM on 10.0.2.145 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.