Share Crafts

Cleaning Burnt On Spills in Oven

My oven is in need of a good cleaning. Does anyone have ideas for how to get nasty burnt marks off my oven?

By Joyce from Pittsburgh, PA

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Keeper 58 1,056 11/18/2009

Someone here on Thriftyfun suggested making a paste of dish detergent and baking soda. Put it on the burn crusty parts. Let stand about 15 mins. and wipe off and rinse. Depending on how bad it is it might take a couple tries. It even works great on the burner pans. Worked for me. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By kathleen williams 76 1,662 11/18/2009

Try natural cleaning techniques. You can buy natural cleaners for your oven that aren't so harmful to your skin, or you can try making your own. One alternative that many have found helpful is baking soda. To do this, sprinkle some of the baking soda on the bottom of your oven and spray lightly with water. Repeat this step for a few hours. Later, scrape out the baking soda and wipe the bottom of the oven with a wet washcloth to remove any residue. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Sharon 6 12 11/20/2009

My mom gave me this tip a few years ago on how to clean a oven. In a cold oven, lay a dish towel size rag on the bottom, then saturate it with ammonia and let it sit for atleast 24 hours. Then wipe clean. I was amazed on how well this worked without have to scrub anything. It does leave an ammonia smell and you would think that when you baked something it would get into the food but I baked the following day and everything was fine. The ammonia smell does go away. Thanks Mom

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No