Email Documents To Transfer To New Computer

In the process of researching local companies that would come and set-up my new computer, I found that there would an additional charge if I wished them to transfer any of my files from my old computer to the new one.

Since I didn't have a whole lot I wanted to save, I decided to simply email those to myself, so I would still have them.

This proved to be an excellent idea, as the new ones are now downloaded and saved into my new computer, and I saved myself $70!

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

This is one way that has several benefits.

1 - If your email is hosted on the internet i.e. gmail, yahoo mail, fastmail then you have a backup of your documents seperate from your PC if something should happen to it.

2 - You can email your documents individually or group them together by category with the category name in the title of the email, the names of the documents in the body of the email and the documents attached.

I would recommend you archive the documents before attaching them using a program like WinZip, WinRar or PKZip.

3 - Another factor in storing your emails at a host on the internet (see point #1), the host usually runs multiple virus, malware and snooping protection programs because of the shear accessability of the site.

4 - If you absolutely have to it would be easy forward your documents to a friend, lawyer or co-worker.

5 - If you ever update a document you can attach the updated document to the original and email it to yourself once more. This gives you the proverbial paper trail sometimes needed/required.

The only other suggestion I would have in saving your documents, most PCs come with a CD burner. You could buy a small spool of CDRs or maybe even get a few from a techy friend (or someone's techie child). Burn your documents onto the CDR and then you can easily transfer them to a new PC or just store them for back up.

This is interesting and ingenius. Me, I simply copy and paste my entire "My Documents" folder to a thumb drive. Once I've gone through the "safely remove hardware" wizard, all my important files are eminently portable.

Transferring Data to a New Computer
Transferring Data to a New Computer
Computers TipsJanuary 20, 2010
Junk Mail or Email Spam
Preventing Junk Mail or Email Spam
Photo of a person clicking on their inbox.
Organizing Your Email
Converting Email Files
Family Taking Digital Photos
Transferring Digital Photos to Your Computer