Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cook a Turkey Breast Side Down

Do you feel that the turkey breast during the holidays is dried out? I have learned to roast the turkey with the breast side facing down. This way, all the juices constently marinate the bird. So white and dark meat remain moist. I put apples, onions, sage and celery around my turkey, so it makes even liquid to work with.

By Daphna from Alachua, Florida

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By April (Guest Post)12/04/2008

Hum,after reading all this about 2 hrs @ 325 into the bird (breast up) I...yep, I went and flipped my bird and lowered temp down to 250. Thank goodness this is a personal job not a gathering. I'll post again to wrap it up. HUM.

By Mary H (Guest Post)11/28/2008

My inlaws always put sausage on top of the turkey before roasting, but I am not a fan of pork with my turkey. I watched an episode of Quantum Leap (1991) where the 'crazy' old man presented a roasted chicken - upside down. I started roasting all birds that way!
I get raves at my moist and tender baked birds ~ENJOY

By Margaret and Richard (Guest Post)11/28/2008

We cooked our turkey with the breast side down. If was excellent. We also put a quarter pound stick of butter in the cavity.

By JC (Guest Post)11/27/2008

You shouldn't really cook a turkey overnight at a low temperature, the toxins can build up.

By Cyndy Schuessler [2]09/02/2008

My mom did this by accident and we were so impressed with how moist the white meat was that we always cook our birds upside down...including chicken! Who would have thought it would make such a difference!

By badwater [242]12/15/2007

I saw, just yesterday, on a satellite tv cooking show, to cook the turkey breast side down for a more even tenderized breast meat. Then turn it over during the last hour or cooking, so it can brown. I'd never seen anyone bake a turkey this way, before.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Cook a Turkey Breast Side Down

Here's a tip for an outstanding Thanksgiving Turkey. Cook it with the breast side down. Yep, turn that bird upside down and insert a stick of butter in the cavity, put in a roasting bag and cook that baby. You will have the juiciest turkey you've ever had because all the juice stays in the bird. A friend of mine gave me this tip, he has a catering business. I always put mine on the night before we eat on about 250 degrees and let it cook all night.

There is no need to watch or baste. Just take it out the next morning and go ahead and pick it all of the bone and put in a covered container in the fridge. When you get ready to eat, take out as much or as little as you need and warm it up in the microwave and serve. Your oven will be free the day you eat to get your other items prepared (much easier). I get LOTS of compliments on the meat and I have a hassle free meal and enjoy being with my company which is what it's about anyway. Many Blessings!

By Ginger

RE: Cook a Turkey Breast Side Down

I also cook my turkey all night - but the 1st hour I cook it at 350 and then turn it down to 250 - making it the way you suggest - are there any drippings to make gravy with? Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! (11/16/2006)

By Starlight

RE: Cook a Turkey Breast Side Down

I too have been cooking my turkey breast side down for at least the past 4 years and my family just loves it. It comes out so moist and tender (especially the breast meat). I also brine my turkey the night before cooking -- that also makes the turkey moist and very flavorful without having to add any additional seasoning. I do not however, cook it the night before. Everyone brings a dish to pass and while the turkey is "resting" (LOL) before carving we reheat the other dishes. Have a great holiday everyone. God Bless (11/20/2006)

By Chris