Italian Spaghetti Sauce

Does anyone have a good recipe for making Italian spaghetti sauce, including the amount Of spices, or herbs to use. I would like to make about 2 quarts. I know spices and herbs are a personal choice, but if I could get some idea as to the approximate amount to use, I could probably adjust it to my taste. Thanks for all replies.

P.J. from Delaware

I cook up a pound of ground Italian sausage with an onion and then drain and blot with paper towels. I then add a small can of mushrooms, a cut red pepper, and about 1 - 2 tsp of dried Italian seasoning (or you could use half oregano and half basil). I also add two garlic cloves as I like garlic. I use the canned spaghetti sauce (Hunts) as a base and add diced tomatoes to that. I like to simmer for awhile to blend the flavors. I've also cooked it in my crockpot all afternoon. There's no science to making it so just add stuff until it tastes good to you. If you like more garlic, add more, if you like things hot add a can of diced tomatoes with green chiles. I've never had a bad batch yet. Have fun!

1/4 c. minced onion

2 peeled garlic cloves

5 tablespoons olive oil

16 oz can crushed tomatoes

6 oz can tomayo paste

12 oz water

3 and half teaspoon salt

1.2 teasppon pepper

half bay leaf

1 fourth pound mushrooms

a half cup parmesan cheese

1 small minced onion

1 teaspoon sage

cook over low heat in pot for about a hour if thicker sauce is desired cook till thickened.

This spaghetti sauce recipe is a huge hit with my family and friends. It makes 4 quarts, tho. You may freeze or can.

Spaghetti Sauce

1/2 Cup Salad oil

4 med. garlic minced

4 small onions diced

Cook 10 min.

2 tbsp. parsley flakes

2 tbsp. salt

2 tsp. pepper

1 tsp. fennel seeds

2-12 oz cans tomato paste

1/4 cup sugar

2 tbsp oregano

2 tsp. basil

2 bay leaves.

16 tomatoes peeled (I blanch them to make the peeling process easier)

Simmer 2 hours covered. Throw out bay leaves. I like to put the sauce in a blender before putting in jars or freezer bags. (my family doesn't like the stringy tomato texture)

I usually buy the jarred organic pasta sauce (25 ounce size), add 1 small can tomato paste and 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground anise seed. Let it simmer at least 20 mins., stirring occasionally (and keep the lid on so it doesn't splatter the stove).

Where we live, Dallas, TX, good tomatoes are hard to find in the grocery store and expensive.

A friend many years ago once made pasta sauce from scratch and complained bitterly that she spent $12 on the tomatoes alone and it wasn't that tasty after all.

Here's a couple recipes I got from "Top Secret Recipes":

Ragu Meat Sauce

2 oz Ground Beef, browned and drained

29 0z can Tomato Sauce

5 tsp Granulated Sugar

4 tsp Olive Oil

1 &frac; tsp minced Dried Onion

1 &frac; tsp shredded Romano

1/8 tsp ground Black Pepper

1 Bay Leaf

Ragu Tomato, Basil & Italian Cheese Sauce

29 oz can Tomato Sauce

&frac; cup canned, diced Tomatoes

5 tsp granulated Sugar

1 Tblsp Olive Oil

1 Tblsp shredded Romano

1 tsp Parmesan

1 tsp dried Basil

&frac; tsp dried Parsley

&frac; tsp Garlic Powder

1/8 tsp Black Pepper

1 Bay Leaf

A friend of mine who is a real foodie HIGHLY recommends the pasta sauce recipe in Joy of Cooking. My friend said that their picky niece took one bite and yelled "THIS IS THE BEST SAUCE I HAVE EVER HAD!" :-)

I can't give you page number since I don't know what version of the book you will be using. But if you go to the recipe for lasagna, it will direct you to their sauce recipe. If you don't have a copy of Joy of Cooking, ask your friends. It's such a kitchen staple that I'm positive someone will have one you can borrow or at least copy the recipe out of.

1-1/lbs Italian sausage links cut in half

1/2 to 1 lb ground beef

2 lg. cans Redpack crushed tomatoes with basil and oregano or 2 lg cans crushed tomatoes and add 1-1/2 tsp. each of basil and oregano, or 1-1/2 tsp italian seasoning

1 - 12 oz. can Hunts tomato sauce

2 capfulls of olive oil.

1/3 cup grated parmesan or romano cheese

1 lg onion chopped or whole or 1-1/2 tsp. onion powder (onion can be dropped into sauce and cooked whole for those who like the flavor but not the taste of onions.

3-4 cloves garlic minced or 1-1/2 tsp. garlic powder

Place cut-in-half Italian sausage links in a pan where the bottom is just big enough to surround the meat.

Just cover the sausage with water. Bring to boil then simmer till the water has leeched some of the flavor of the sausage out. Check often so water doesn't simmer all away. Water will change color and be a little bit thick. This only adds flavor to the sauce.

Using pan large enough for everything, place into it the sausage and water mixture .

Add canned tomatoes, tomato sauce and, if necessary, italian seasonings.

Bring to a boil, then add raw hamburg meat (gives it a good flavor) in small chunks. turn to simmer.

Add grated cheese. Stir well. If sauce looks too thin, add 1 can tomato paste. Thin with hot water if needed. Cover pan.

Simmer about 45 min to 1 hr.

I don't know the original source for this recipe. Sorry.

Old World Spaghetti Sauce

Servings: 10 Servings

Nutritional Information: 223 Calories; 12g Fat (52% calories from fat); 16g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 45mg Cholesterol; 243mg Sodium

2 lbs. pork loin, whole

2 tbs. olive oil

6 oz. tomato paste

30 oz. tomatoes, canned, crushed in puree

1 cup red wine

2 cups water

2 leaves bay leaf

2 tbs. basil leaves, fresh preferred

1 tbs. oregano, dried or fresh

1 tbs. fresh parsley

4 cloves garlic, finely chopped

1 large onion, finely chopped

4 oz. roasted red peppers, finely chopped

Salt and pepper to taste

a.. Brown pork loin or roast (or substitute with Italian sausage links) in olive oil in 6-8 quart heavy pot. Take out meat, cover and set aside. Sauté finely chopped onion and garlic in the meat fat and oil until translucent. Add rest of ingredients. Blend well and bring to hard boil over medium-high heat, then down to lowest heat to simmer for about 4 to 5 hours.

b.. Put pork roast into sauce just after heat is turned down. If using Italian sausage or ITALIAN MEATBALLS (see recipe) put in during the last two hours of simmering. Let stand overnight in refrigerator or cool place.

c.. Skim excess surface fat next day and simmer another 2-3 hours. Add water or wine if too thick. Boil with cover off if too thin.

d.. Makes enough sauce for up to two lbs. of pasta. Freeze leftover sauce.

NOTE: The long and slower the simmer - the better!

Every time I make this sauce I get asked for my recipe and its secret.

I use:

1 jar of Ragu orignal or (my fav)Paul Newman marinara

Pinch of sugar, cumin seeds,any dry italian spices

1 can of tomato sauce

simmer and add

your browned ground beef or cooked italian sausages

also cook your past in rapidily boiling water for

11 minutes I test it by tossing up a noodle and if

it sticks to the cupboard its done al dente,

try this once and enjoy

Straight out of my Betty Crocker cookbook, *small revisions made for my taste. Serves 6 - 8

1 pound hamburger

1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)

1 clove garlic, crushed

1 cup water

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon sugar

1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves

3/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves

1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves

1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves (optional)

1 bay leaf

1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce

1 can (6ounces) tomato paste

*(I use 1/2 lb. extra-lean hamburger and 1/2 lb. Italian sausage and add sliced mushrooms and black olives)

Cook and stir hamburger, sausage, onion and garlic in 10-inch skillet until hamburger and sausage are light brown; drain. Stir in remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 hour.

Serve over hot spaghetti. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.

OR - I like to put it in the Crock Pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours.

why all the use of canned tomatoes. even if they are not from your garden, the produce counters' are much more robust in flavor

Homemade spaghetti sauce.
Spaghetti Sauce Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes International Italian SaucesDecember 31, 2005
Peanut Sauce Recipes, Pork satay with peanut sauce dip.
Peanut Sauce Recipes
Close up image of red pasta sauce cooking in pan
Fixing Burnt Flavor in Spaghetti Sauce
plate of spaghetti and meat sauce
Mazette Sauce Recipes
Spaghetti Sauce in Terracota Pot
Spaghetti Sauce Tips and Tricks