Making a Footbag or Hacky Sack

My little man would like for me to make him a "Hackysack". Does any one know how this is done? This is a small crochet ball, filled with rice, I think. The kids use these to bounce off of their feet and hands. Would anyone happen to know just how these are constructed? I'd really appreciate this as I hate to spend over ten dollars to buy something that should be very easy to make.

Perkypet from Texas Panhandle

Here's a link to a pattern. I don't crochet, so I don't know if this is difficult or not. The main thing to remember is that you should stuff it as full as possible with rice (or whatever else you're using to fill it with). It needs to be very dense and should be hard to squeeze.

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/hacky-sack.html

There is an awsome book called, "The Ultimate Book of Kid Concotions" in it there is something called a Squishy Ball. You need a medium-sized ballon, 1/2 cup of rice or salt, and a funnel.

Place the ballon over the end of the funnel.

Pour 1/2 cup of rice or salt in the funnel. If the entire 1/2 cup of fuller doesn't seem to fit into the balloon, use a straw or the end of an eraser to force the remaining filler into the balloon.

Squeeze out any air that may have become trapped in the balloon and tie the balloon shut.

It says Squishy Balls can be used for juggling or just for playing catch with a friend.

There is also something called Juggle Balls that are made very similair. You use a small plastic bag dried beans and balloons.

You fill the plastic bag with with dried beans

Then you cut the narrow end off a balloon.

Stretch one balloon around the plastic bag full of beans.

Stretch the remaing balloon around the bag in the opposite direction of the first balloon.

Hope this helps and have fun.

here is a great site on Mother Earth. have made the footbag, easy and fun

http://www.motherearthnews.com/top_ ... nuary_February/Make_Your_Own_Footbag

Glad I came to this one! My youngest cat plays fetch with only a hacky-sack. I have been wondering if I could make more if he wears this one out.

I love this site and all the great ideas you come across!

I am so totally amazed to have such a quick response to my request. Everyone is so sweet to have helped me out here. This is exactly what my little guy is wanting. I visited the website and the directions seem pretty clear. Now if I can just figure out how to follow them I'll have it made. Thanks doesn't say it enough but until better words are discovered...........................thanks!!!

hi, I have a bro that hacky sacks, and he wants me to make him a hackysack. I heard about making those leather ones, but he said the chrochet (however you spell it) ones work best so I want to know how to make one.

-thx

thats a problem my hackie sacks always turn out tiny...what string do i use...how do i do it?!?!?!

ok. i dont know how to make them but you made a mistake. hackey sacks aren't bounced off of the hands. thats against the rules

i love to play hackey sack and i want to make one but i need to know if it's hard to do. all the ways i've seen how to do it look pretty hard and i was wondering if there is an easier way.

True, the best hacky sacks are the ones made from crocheting. Also, it is best when you DON'T completely fill up the hacky sack. I know from experience that when it is filled about 4/5 of the way it is easier to use.

I made one using a sock filled with rice, and sowed up the opening. It's pretty easy and should take about 7 minutes. I cut the sock about 3 - 4 inches from the toe.

Here's a really good pattern for making a hacky sack. This one is sewn out of fabric.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar ... cky_sack.html?image=59332&cat=24

Hacky Sack
Making Hacky Sack
Crafts CrochetMarch 3, 2006
Drumstick Treat Bags
Drumstick Treat Bags
Fabric Lunch Bag
Making Fabric Lunch Bags
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
Sloppy joes for a large group.
Making Sloppy Joes for a Large Group
🎄