Browsing: Electric Smoke Detector Won't Stop Beeping

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Electric Smoke Detector Won't Stop Beeping

It can drive you to distraction, the constant unexplainable beeping of an electric smoke detector. Often it just needs the battery replaced but it may be a signal that it needs greater attention. This is a guide about troubleshooting ideas when an electric smoke detector won't stop beeping.

Electric Smoke Detector
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 12, 2016 Flag

My smoke alarm keeps beeping. How do you get them to stop chirping even with new batteries? They are hard wired, so does one need to shut off the breaker? Which one?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

where are the batteries located

Read More Answers...

July 16, 2016 Flag

My fire alarm is beeping like there's a fire and we just changed the batteries! We even took some of the new batteries out thinking that would stop it, but it didn't. We can barely reach the alarms in the ceiling. We can not go hearing this alarm all night. What can we do or who do we call?

Stop my fire alarm from beeping

Read More Answers...

July 24, 2016 Flag

My electric smoke alarm is continuously activated.

July 1, 2016 Flag

My smoke detector has been removed and there is nothing there but wires. How do I stop it from beeping? It's driving us crazy and we are both in our 70s and can't climb up to fix the problem.

Our hard wired smoke alarm is chirping and we don't see a battery. Any ideas

Read More Answers...

November 14, 2015 Flag

Why does my fire detector keep beeping when I am sleeping and everytime?

Best Answer

If it sounds like a chirp it means batteries need replaced. If it sounds like the regular alarm you may need to replace it assuming it's the kind that takes batteries. You don't want to get in the habit of ignoring the fire alarm sounding in case of a real fire!

Read More Answers...

March 31, 2011 Flag

I have detached the smoke detector from the ceiling electrical contact, but the chirping continues without stopping.

By Andri from San Diego, CA

Best Answer

Here is some detailed help for those of us who are "mechanically challenged."

First, check your carbon monoxide (CO2) detector, if you have one, to make sure it is not the one beeping. (If it is, open windows to air out the house and get some help to fix the problem.)

Second, make sure the temperature in your home is within the tolerable range for your detector. (Mine has to be above 40 degrees F, and below 100 degrees.)

Third, change the battery. (Some steps below may not apply to your smoke detector, but hopefully this list will help anyway.)

How to change the battery:

Look where the alarm is attached to the wall, and remove the little plastic "stick" that is stopping the alarm from being turned, if present. (Mine had one in a slot on the right side. It just pulled off.)

Turn alarm in the direction of the arrows on the front of smoke detector. (Mine only turned a tiny bit, clockwise, then I had to pull the alarm straight away from the wall.)

It may be connected still by wires to the wall (or to a hole in the wall actually.) Squeeze both sides of the plastic piece where the wires come out of the back of the alarm and pull straight away from the alarm to remove the plastic "plug" holding the wires.

Now, hopefully, you can open the battery door to change the battery. My battery compartment had a piece of plastic (like a stick) on a spring that popped up when battery was removed. I had to push the plastic stick down into the battery compartment, then push the new battery on top of it so the battery door would close.

If it still beeps after you change the battery, try flipping the battery over. If it still beeps, try a different, new battery, and try it flipped over if needed.

If it still beeps then you may have to buy a can of compressed air to blow the dust out, OR buy a new smoke detector, whichever is cheaper/easier.

I hope this helps others to avoid the hassle I had to figure out how to change the stupid battery. Mine is still beeping so I'll try the compressed air or buy a new smoke detector once it is daylight.

Read More Answers...

July 15, 2016 Flag

I changed the battery and it still beeps each minute. What next?

April 26, 2016 Flag

My fire alarm started chirping this morning and it woke me up. I don't have the correct batteries to replace it, but I've tried everything else and it continues to chirp after I turn it off. How do I make it stop without getting a new battery?

The batteries are probably low. If you don't have a new battery, just remove the old one to stop the chirping now. Then get a new battery as soon as possible, as you don't want to forget to replace it.

Read More Answers...

January 30, 2014 Flag

My hardwired smoke detector is going off at the interval of every few hours. When one started the other two followed. All three are over 10 years old?

By Monica T.

Best Answer

It is time to replace them. I am a fire fighter and depending on the type, they are to be replaced every 8-12 years.

Read More Answers...

May 14, 2011 Flag

My hardwired smoke detector keeps beeping. I tried turning off all breakers, but it still beeps. I tried vacuuming the unit and wiping, that didn't help. It beeps about every 60 seconds. I disconnected the detector from the wiring, but it still beeps from the hardwired sensor. How can I get it to stop?

By Wayne L

Best Answer

Some hard wired smoke detectors have a battery in them for back up if there is a power failure. If the battery is running low the smoke detector will start making a chirping sound just as you described.

Read More Answers...

August 6, 2012 Flag

I have a beeping smoke alarm without a battery. I want it to stop beeping, what do I do? I have turned the power off and I have disconnected the plug from the back of the alarm, but it still won't stop beeping. What can I do?

By B C

Best Answer

Fixed the same problem thanks to my volunteer fireman neighbor. Vacuum the works. It probably does not even look like it needs it. New battery and you should be rid of the problem.

Read More Answers...

February 16, 2015 Flag

The electric smoke detactor has gone off twice today. I have a heater in the room with it (a bathroom) could that cause it? Can the heat fron the heater cause it to go off? I've checked the entire house, there is no smoke. So what's the problem? The detector is very old.

By Suzanne n

Best Answer

If it is old, it might detect heat instead of smoke. Please toss it and get one that detects radon, too. They are a bit spendy but better than a home or other loss.

February 2, 2014 Flag

Why does the fire alarm beep for no reason? There are no fire hazards.

By Irwin W. from Danville, CA

Best Answer

Some smoke alarms beep if the batteries are dead or perhaps not put in correctly. Hard wired ones will have back up batteries that need to be replaced occasionally and they may beep if the are not wired properly.

There are some alarms also detect carbon monoxide. You may have a separate problem to investigate if it is a dual purpose alarm.

If it truly is broken, they are not that expensive to replace. It is very important to have a functioning smoke alarm.

Read More Answers...

February 27, 2016 Flag

I have a Kidde model 12060 hardwired smoke detector with battery back up. I came home and the unit was beeping. I got a ladder and put in a new battery. That was no good; it is still chirping. I tried a 2nd battery and the same thing. I turned off the circuit breaker, took out the battery, and it is still chirping. I took the unit down, replaced the battery, tested it, and the alarm sounded. I put it back up and have a green light in the small display, but it is still beeping. I checked all 5 units and all have green lights. It is still chirping and I cannot make it stop.
                Help.

They have an expiration date, check it. It should be on the back of the unit, if you can get to it. Sometimes, they need to be updated depending how old it is.

June 29, 2011 Flag

Our electronic smoke detectors are going off during the night hours. This has happened last night 3 times. It is a warning beep because of a low battery. Does anybody know anything about this?

By Mark from Stafford, VA

Best Answer

Is your smoke detector also a carbon monoxide detector? I know with our smoke detectors the beep for a low battery is different than a beep for an alarm. My mother-in-law had a man come out for her stove and he said she had a severe gas leak, but nobody could smell it, but him, so it might be that and you just can't smell it.

Read More Answers...

May 25, 2011 Flag

There's about 6 fire alarms in my house. One alarm started going off then, all the other ones went off for about 30min. Finally it all stopped, but then started again. Now that all the beeping stopped, one continues to beep every minute.

Answer This QuestionMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
                  Load More
                  Home and Garden Repair Home MiscellaneousAugust 15, 2012
                  Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
                  Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
                  Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
                  Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
                  Kenmore Refrigerator's Ice Maker Won't Stop Making Ice
                  Troubleshooting a Smoke Detector
                  Troubleshooting a Smoke Detector
                  © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 27, 2016 at 5:03:35 PM on 10.0.1.8 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.