Browsing: Electric Smoke Detector Won't Stop Beeping

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Electric Smoke Detector Won't Stop Beeping

It can drive you to distraction, the constant unexplainable beeping of an electric smoke detector. Often it just needs the battery replaced but it may be a signal that it needs greater attention. This is a guide about troubleshooting ideas when an electric smoke detector won't stop beeping.

Electric Smoke Detector
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 28, 2016 Flag

My smoke alarm was set off when there was a lot of dust during a DIY job. It wouldn't stop bleeping when I decided to replace the battery on completing the DIY. I just found the solution; there was still some dust in the sensor vent so I blew into it vigorously and replaced the battery. Voila, it worked perfectly.

Smoke and Alarm

July 1, 2015 Flag

I had the same issue. My detector beeped loudly once a minute; and another one beeped once a minute, so beeps were heard every 30 seconds from 2 detectors. I vacuumed the units, turned off circuit breaker, disconnected wire unit from detectors, replaced batteries, held test button with battery out and then with battery in. None of this helped. All detectors had green solid light. I tried to solve all day and got a headache of course.

Replacing Battery in Smoke Alarm

Finally (and this is noted by others too), I checked my plug-in (stand alone, not connected/wired to house or to smoke detectors) carbon monoxide detector (Kiddie brand, bought about 3 years ago; smoke detectors came with new house, now about 8 years old). I had just quickly plugged the carbon detector units into outlets and forgot about them. The carbon monoxide detector was going off! It had a red light flashing. My second carbon monoxide detector (Kiddie, same as this one) was NOT alarming and had steady green light! I unplugged the flashing carbon detector and INSTANTLY all smoke detectors were quiet Yikes! There was no carbon monoxide, I'm not sure why it went off.

So I'd suggest if you have wired/electrical smoke detectors to try unplugging various other things; sensor lights, alarms, small appliances, anything recently plugged in, etc. It might not make sense but it's an easy quick thing to try before trying complicated or expensive solutions, and to avoid headaches! Good luck!

July 16, 2016 Flag

My fire alarm is beeping like there's a fire and we just changed the batteries! We even took some of the new batteries out thinking that would stop it, but it didn't. We can barely reach the alarms in the ceiling. We can not go hearing this alarm all night. What can we do or who do we call?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

As a retired firefighter's wife, I always suggested calling your local fire department (the non-emergency number). They will answer most questions and may even come over to help you solve the problem. Sometimes they will supply a new alarm at a discount and install it for you. Never hurts to ask is one of my mottos.

2. Also if the inside of the alarm is dusty or full of cobwebs, it will do weird things like ring without the batteries. Take your vacuum to the open alarm(remove the outside housing) and give it a good cleaning.

3. Make sure the alarm is not hard-wired to the electrical system in the house with a battery backup. If this is the case, it will ring without batteries. 4. Finally, be aware that smoke alarms age and should be replaced about every five years depending on the brand.

Read More Answers...

July 12, 2016 Flag

My smoke alarm keeps beeping. How do you get them to stop chirping even with new batteries? They are hard wired, so does one need to shut off the breaker? Which one?

Best Answer

The smoke alarm is chirping because:

- The battery is dead

- The unit is not receiving hard wired power

- The unit is dirty

- The unit is broke

Make sure the replacement battery is good, that the unit is plugged in firmly. Use canned air to blow the dirt out of it. If it keeps chirping replace it.

Read More Answers...

July 1, 2016 Flag

My smoke detector has been removed and there is nothing there but wires. How do I stop it from beeping? It's driving us crazy and we are both in our 70s and can't climb up to fix the problem.

Best Answer

Have you tried flipping the breaker on your electrical panel?

Read More Answers...

April 26, 2016 Flag

My fire alarm started chirping this morning and it woke me up. I don't have the correct batteries to replace it, but I've tried everything else and it continues to chirp after I turn it off. How do I make it stop without getting a new battery?

Best Answer

You would actually have to undo it from the ceiling and unhook the wires. It is better and safer to find a way to get those batteries.

Read More Answers...

November 14, 2015 Flag

Why does my fire detector keep beeping when I am sleeping and everytime?

Best Answer

If it sounds like a chirp it means batteries need replaced. If it sounds like the regular alarm you may need to replace it assuming it's the kind that takes batteries. You don't want to get in the habit of ignoring the fire alarm sounding in case of a real fire!

Read More Answers...

September 26, 2014 Flag

My smoke detector won't stop beeping. I have done all of your suggestions. What else is there to do?

By Judy

Best Answer

As I understand it, hardwired smoke detectors also have a back up battery. If you haven't already, try and remove the battery. I hope this helps.

Read More Answers...

March 31, 2011 Flag

I have detached the smoke detector from the ceiling electrical contact, but the chirping continues without stopping.

By Andri from San Diego, CA

Best Answer

Here is some detailed help for those of us who are "mechanically challenged."

First, check your carbon monoxide (CO2) detector, if you have one, to make sure it is not the one beeping. (If it is, open windows to air out the house and get some help to fix the problem.)

Second, make sure the temperature in your home is within the tolerable range for your detector. (Mine has to be above 40 degrees F, and below 100 degrees.)

Third, change the battery. (Some steps below may not apply to your smoke detector, but hopefully this list will help anyway.)

How to change the battery:

Look where the alarm is attached to the wall, and remove the little plastic "stick" that is stopping the alarm from being turned, if present. (Mine had one in a slot on the right side. It just pulled off.)

Turn alarm in the direction of the arrows on the front of smoke detector. (Mine only turned a tiny bit, clockwise, then I had to pull the alarm straight away from the wall.)

It may be connected still by wires to the wall (or to a hole in the wall actually.) Squeeze both sides of the plastic piece where the wires come out of the back of the alarm and pull straight away from the alarm to remove the plastic "plug" holding the wires.

Now, hopefully, you can open the battery door to change the battery. My battery compartment had a piece of plastic (like a stick) on a spring that popped up when battery was removed. I had to push the plastic stick down into the battery compartment, then push the new battery on top of it so the battery door would close.

If it still beeps after you change the battery, try flipping the battery over. If it still beeps, try a different, new battery, and try it flipped over if needed.

If it still beeps then you may have to buy a can of compressed air to blow the dust out, OR buy a new smoke detector, whichever is cheaper/easier.

I hope this helps others to avoid the hassle I had to figure out how to change the stupid battery. Mine is still beeping so I'll try the compressed air or buy a new smoke detector once it is daylight.

Read More Answers...

August 9, 2016 Flag

I just put new batteries in all my alarms, but they continue to beep. They are also hard wired. What should I do next to stop the beeping?

February 27, 2016 Flag

I have a Kidde model 12060 hardwired smoke detector with battery back up. I came home and the unit was beeping. I put in a new battery. That was no good; it is still chirping. I tried a 2nd battery and the same thing. I turned off the circuit breaker, took out the battery, and it is still chirping.

Load More
Home and Garden Repair Home MiscellaneousAugust 15, 2012
Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
Kenmore Refrigerator's Ice Maker Won't Stop Making Ice
Troubleshooting a Smoke Detector
Troubleshooting a Smoke Detector
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 23, 2016 at 11:17:50 AM on 10.0.1.50 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.