Static Window Film Instead of Curtains

If you have a window that for some reason you cannot put a curtain on (e.g., you can't mar the wall or door to put up a curtain rod, you are a renter, it doesn't fit your design aesthetic, etc.), consider using adhesive-free static cling window film.

Think of the little UV stickers that come on new pairs of sunglasses; they cling to the surface of the glasses without glue and remove easily with no mess. They now make versions of this material in three foot wide rolls meant for windows, mirrors, and other smooth surfaces.

Home improvement stores like Home Depot, Menard's, Lowe's etc. carry a convenient but limited selection, but a simple Google search (try "window cling film") will turn up several companies that now make window film in hundreds of styles.

They have everything from simple frosted or tinted glass, to stained glass, to art deco, to country folk art designs, to various faux beveled glass designs and more. Some of the online companies I have seen are now also making cling film boarders and decorative corner cutouts for those who don't need or want to cover the whole window but have a particular look they are trying to achieve.

It is a great product for renters because it goes on and comes off in minutes. It can be used for privacy, to diffuse sunlight or avoid UV damage to carpets, for insulation, to hide a bad view, or simply for a decorative touch.

The product has been out for a few years, but having Googled it recently, I was amazed by all of the new designs that are now available.

By Tahlula from Northfield, MN

I was told you can't put that stuff on the double-paned windows. Is that true?

It may be that the privacy or solar films are not allowed, because they reflect back heat through the glass, which would dump the heat between the panes of a double pane window. I can't imagine any reason why transparent film, even if decorated, wouldn't be allowed (but I could be wrong).

Great idea! I have put that "Bubble-wrap" on our small bathroom window (when I had no window coverings)

Just dampen/wet the window, and put the Bubble-wrap in place. It will stick to the wet surface. Place the side without the bubbles onto the window. ( I'm sure you knew that though). It allowed light to enter the room, without letting anyone see in. Perfect! Guess if you have children or husbands who like to pop the bubble-wrap, you must threaten who ever messes up your window covering!

I have done this to a lot of my windows to let in all the day light and not see my neighbours (lack of privacy). It works beautifully. Follow the directions because some products shrink a bit over time.

I've put it up on double pane windows without any problems. The manufacturer I used recommends leaving 1/16" around the edges to allow for expansion and contraction. It is possible that your window manufacturer may void the warranty if you still have one. I guess it depends on if the windows are made to proper specifications.

I was doing research for this website when I came across this post. There's a lot of things you can do with film: http://www.lvtint.com/Decorative-Film.htm

In addition to clear, frosted, or colorful designs, you can also get privacy film (dark grey or brown) that lets you see out a little on a bright sunny day, but no one can see in; and solar film, which comes in tinted or reflective and won't let in the rays that turn to heat (but you can still see out because it doesn't block visible light all that much). If you get one of those, make sure you read the label on the box very carefully to be sure to get the kind you want!

I got solar film that turned out to be privacy film instead. I ended up using bubble cloth (the ones with tiny bubbles), and they've stayed in place for several years now. If one starts to peel away at a corner, I just moisten the back, press it back into place, and it's good for another year or three!

Frugal Window Treatment
Frugal Window Curtains
Home and Garden Home Improvement WindowsJune 1, 2009
Hanging Curtains With Pleat Hooks
Hanging Curtains
Measuring Windows for New Curtains, Gold colored curtains and white sheers hanging on a wondow.
Measuring Windows for New Curtains
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
Starching Curtains
Starching Curtains
🎉
🎄