Reducing Static Electricity From Microfiber Furniture

Category Furniture
Synthetic fibers can create a lot of static electricity. It is not fun to get a shock from your couch or chair. This is a guide about reducing static electricity from microfiber furniture.

We just purchased a microfiber sofa and love seat. The static electricity is out of control! Does anyone know what I can do about this? I called the manufacturer and they said they've never heard of this problem and they had no suggestions for me. Any help is greatly appreciated!

BJR from Southern Colorado

Answers

I have the same problem with my furniture. I would like to know what I can do as well. If anyone could help us out we would really appreciate it. Thanks so much.

Hi we have just got a lounge suit and the static electricity is extremely bad how do I stop it from happening

Fill a spray bottle with 9 parts water and 1 part fabric softener. Spray the couch lightly.

BJR from Southern CO

Feedback:

RE: Static Electricity From Microfiber Furniture

I'm wondering if your house is very dry or if you live in a dry area. Sometimes this can cause a lot of static electricity. You could try a humidifier in that room. I'm thinking about panty hose, and how you can use hair spray or fabric softener sheets to get rid of static cling, but I don't know if you want to try that on your new furniture! (11/29/2006)

By Jess

I suggest you try running a humidifier during the winter months if you live in a cold climate. If you live in a warm climate and have central air, I think you'd run it during the warm weather months.

I'd try that before I tried a product like Static Guard. Also, I've heard that if you run a wire coat hanger over your skirt it won't cling to your slip. It might work for your furniture as well.

I'm thinking the problem isn't with the fabric used on the furniture, but rather the stuffing, if it is polyester.

Do you have carpets? Have you checked to ensure it isn't the carpet causing this problem? Warm regards. (11/30/2006)

By Carol in PA

We just moved to Colorado Springs from San Antonio, and just bought a microfiber couch. Yikes! I never knew furniture could hold so much static! In doing a bit of research the best idea I've found is to mix 1 tablespoon liquid fabric softener to 1 spray bottle of water and mist your carpet and furniture. I'm going out to get some now! (01/30/2007)

By Kim

About four years ago we bought a new micro fiber sofa. It was delivered to the house wrapped in 'plastic wrap'. That was great to keep the sofa clean during shipping. But, when I peeled it off, a huge amount of static was created. Without thinking, I bought a can of Static Guard and applied it according to the instructions. Worked perfectly! In the ensuing four years, I have never felt the need to reapply. (BTW: found the post while searching on cleaning micro fiber. I'm washing my covers in the machine now). (03/06/2007)

By Greg in VT

I posted the original concern with our furniture. Thanks for all the help. We are in a really dry area, so I got our humidifier going, and I also took a dryer sheet and rubbed it all over the couch and loveseat. When I feel the static coming back, I usually turn the humidifier back on and if it's really staticy I rub it again with a dryer sheet, which I've only had to do a couple of times over the last few months. It usually really helps the problem. (03/10/2007)

By BJR from Southern CO

I used no name brand dryer sheets and it worked perfectly. The sheets even removed cat hairs while I was at it! (03/17/2007)

By Michael

Like many of the other readers here, the manufacturer of our sectional told us we were unique in the static electricity problem three years ago when we bought it. When we had it professionally cleaned a few weeks ago the static dramatically dropped off after the tech included a special softening agent in the rinse to make sure the fabric didn't dry stiff.

I just happened to come upon this website looking for static-free hairbrushes (we live in a dry area). I will definitely use the fabric softener in a spray-bottle hint for my sectional, plus a softener sheet around my hairbrush. Who knew there could be so many "unique" situations? I really don't know why my cats are not bald already, the amount of hair that I've been brushing off that couch. (11/01/2008)

I have used Static Guard on my couch and wahla the static is gone! You can get it at places like Target or Walmart in the laundry area. I used to use it on my clothes all the time so I thought I would see if you could use it on upholstery too. Well you can. There are directions right on the can on how to use it. (01/24/2009)

By Sarah

I just received my new microfiber latte couches and they are full of static. So I go online to this website and looked up everyone's tips. The only tip that works, go to CVS, Target, Walmart, whatever and buy Static Guard and a humidifier. This works. I loaded my couches with Static Guard and turned my humidifier on. First off the Static Guard not only helps with the static, but it also helps "stain proof" your couches. This is the best advice I ever got. Thank you.

Oh, PS I would not use the fabric softener and water, it can and will put little spots on your couch. I would not recommend this. (03/13/2009)

By jessica