Freezing Thanksgiving Leftovers

Is it safe to freeze leftovers from Thanksgiving? I was thinking about the green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, and stuffing.

Debby from Ashland City, TN

I do it all the time. When my in-laws were alive we used to take the entire Thanksgiving dinner to CA to cook there. Instead of bringing it back to OR I bought covered styrofoam plates and packaged each one with enough for 2 people. They used them for weeks

It is safe to freeze those items, but it must be done within a day or two. If you're waiting until now (a week later) to freeze, I'd say no, it's too late. Food should last in the refrigerator up to three days. You can freeze it anytime within that three days, but not afterwards.

I agree with Noella, but would add a little addendum. Some dishes have ingredients that would still be fine a week later. If you used any diary product or meat product (even broth) you should probably toss them. But if your sweet potatoes are with anything like marshmallows or pineapple -- they are fine. And gravy, cream soups, or cream sauces will separate when frozen and thawed, so they will not be very appetizing later.

Thanks for the advise. I had everything in the freezer by saturday morning!

Don't use aluminum pans to freeze your stuffing/dressing in. It'll give off as food poisoning when thawed out. My sister did this one year, upon heating it and eating it, they all had to go to the hospital for treatment.