Using Thanksgiving Leftovers

Diamond Post Medal for All Time! 1,246 Posts

Thanksgiving Leftovers Monte Cristo SandwichI am always trying to think of new ways to use up leftovers from Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. The first round of heating up leftovers is always exciting but it seems like there is more moaning and groaning from round three and on. This Monte Cristo sandwich something I started this year. All the leftovers are packed between a couple slices of bread, battered, fried and dusted with powdered sugar. It is so good, we are all looking forward to my Monte Christmas sandwich around the corner!

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 20 minutes

Yield: 2 sandwiches that can easily serve 4

• 4 slices sturdy sandwich bread
  • cranberry sauce
  • mustard
  • mayonnaise
  • mashed potatoes
  • turkey
  • cheese
  • yams
  • stuffing
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 Tbsp baking powder
  • oil for frying
  • 1 tsp powdered sugar
Thanksgiving Leftovers Monte Cristo Sandwich

1. Start by spreading cranberry sauce on one side, and mustard and mayonnaise on the other.
  2. Mayonnaise and cranberries spread on bread

3. On the cranberry sauce, build upwards by adding a thin layer of mashed potatoes, turkey, then cover in cheese. On the mustard and mayonnaise, add yams, then stuffing. Press stuffing down so it locks in.
  4. leftovers on bread

5. Flip the stuffing side down onto the other half of the sandwich and press down firmly with your hand to really keep the sandwich together.
  6. smashing sandwich

7. Place egg in a wide bowl, add water and beat together. Beat in salt, sugar, flour, and baking powder until very smooth.
  8. whisking egg in bowl

9. Place sandwich in batter and cover all the sides.
  10. dipping sandwich in egg

11. Very carefully place battered sandwich in hot oil and fry until golden.
  12. grilling sandwich

13. Flip sandwich over. Press to sides of pan so all the batter is completely crisp.
  14. flipped grilled sandwich

15. Remove sandwich from pan and place on a paper towel. Repeat steps to make another sandwich.
  16. sandwich on paper towel on plate

17. Allow to cool, then slice diagonally.
  18. cut sandwich

19. Stack one on the other, dust with powdered sugar and serve with a side of cranberry sauce.
  20. Thanksgiving Leftovers Monte sandwich with side of cranberries on plate

20 More Solutions

I buy the throw-away aluminum baking pans with lids to send leftovers home for my guests. Example: for my three children, I buy 2 pans for each family; one for the main meal leftovers and one for desserts.

A great way to use up that last bit of leftover turkey and leftover mashed potatoes. Combine potatoes, turkey, and onions.

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 109 Feedbacks

I haven't had this in a long time, but I look forward to it as much as I do the Thanksgiving dinner. We have a dish in our house known as Musgo "everything in the fridge must go".

At Thanksgiving time, Musgo is a Thanksgiving casserole.

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 216 Posts

Wondering what to do with all the leftovers from your Thanksgiving feast? This is a real family favorite, kind of a home version of KFC's mashed potato bowls.

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 171 Feedbacks

If you have leftover cranberry sauce, mix it in your oatmeal for a yummy breakfast! You can add raisins too.

Just put in a dollop of cranberry sauce before you cook the oatmeal and stir it together when it's done.

There's always left overs after Thanksgiving. What I just started doing is using the cranberry sauce on my bagels. Cream cheese and topped with a little cranberry sauce! Yummy, better than jam!

Looking for a good use for all those Thanksgiving leftovers? My family gets together with 2-3 other families for dinner the day after Thanksgiving. We all bring our leftovers and share what we have.

I decided to use up the last of a turkey that I had in the freezer by making enchiladas. I was appalled to find that the enchilada sauce was well over $2.50 a can.

For turkey leftovers, make a breakfast hash. Pan fry your leftover mashed potatoes in butter (or if you have whole potatoes, slice thin or dice small.) In a separate pan, saute sliced onions, peppers, mushrooms, whatever you have on hand.

Left overs from Thanksgiving? Make Thanksgiving Pizza.

Silver Post Medal for All Time! 267 Posts

Recipe for Thanksgiving Potpies. I do this every year with the Thanksgiving leftovers. These freeze well and are a big hit. This is what I had left over this year. Any other leftover ingredients can be used. In past years, I have had carrots, corn, sweet potatoes, you name it. Sometimes you need to make some extra gravy, veggies or potatoes to flesh out the potpies if you are lacking in leftovers in one category.

Slice leftover stuffing and warm on stove or microwave. Serve fried eggs over it (or next to it) for breakfast or a quick lunch or dinner. Can also be served next to scrambled eggs. Cathy

Diamond Post Medal for All Time! 5,887 Posts

Great way to use leftover turkey from Thanksgiving! Cook onion, celery, and pepper in butter until soft. Add remaining ingredients except turkey and cook 5 minutes. Add turkey. Heat through.

Starting with the tortilla, spread the cream cheese on it and then spread a coating of the cranberry gel. One top of that, a layer of stuffing and then the turkey, and the top is the gravy.

Bronze Request Medal for All Time! 66 Requests

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Put stuffing in a large bowl. Mix in mushrooms with liquid. Let sit 10 minutes. Mix in ground beef and eggs. Spoon into a 9x9-inch baking dish.

Load More
Food and Recipes Food Tips LeftoversFebruary 14, 2014
👔
🌻
👒
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Using-Thanksgiving-Leftovers.html