Using Thanksgiving Leftovers

Category Leftovers
The typical Thanksgiving feast often leaves us with a variety of leftovers that we look for ways to use in later meals. This is a page about using thanksgiving leftovers.

I buy the throw-away aluminum baking pans with lids to send leftovers home for my guests. Example: for my three children, I buy 2 pans for each family; one for the main meal leftovers and one for desserts. This eliminates searching through cabinets for margarine tubs, or plastic containers.

These aluminum baking pans can be purchased at the local Dollar stores and come in various sizes.

By JOSE from Collierville, Tennessee

A great way to use up that last bit of leftover turkey and leftover mashed potatoes. Combine potatoes, turkey, and onions.

I haven't had this in a long time, but I look forward to it as much as I do the Thanksgiving dinner. We have a dish in our house known as Musgo "everything in the fridge must go". At Thanksgiving time, Musgo is a Thanksgiving casserole.

Wondering what to do with all the leftovers from your Thanksgiving feast? This is a real family favorite, kind of a home version of KFC's mashed potato bowls.

If you have leftover cranberry sauce, mix it in your oatmeal for a yummy breakfast! You can add raisins too.

Just put in a dollop of cranberry sauce before you cook the oatmeal and stir it together when it's done.

There's always left overs after Thanksgiving. What I just started doing is using the cranberry sauce on my bagels. Cream cheese and topped with a little cranberry sauce! Yummy, better than jam!

I am always trying to think of new ways to use up leftovers from Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. The first round of heating up leftovers is always exciting but it seems like there is more moaning and groaning from round three and on. This Monte Cristo sandwich something I started this year. All the leftovers are packed between a couple slices of bread, battered, fried and dusted with powdered sugar. It is so good, we are all looking forward to my Monte Christmas sandwich around the corner!

Looking for a good use for all those Thanksgiving leftovers? My family gets together with 2-3 other families for dinner the day after Thanksgiving.

We all bring our leftovers and share what we have.

I decided to use up the last of a turkey that I had in the freezer by making enchiladas. I was appalled to find that the enchilada sauce was well over $2.50 a can.

For turkey leftovers, make a breakfast hash. Pan fry your leftover mashed potatoes in butter (or if you have whole potatoes, slice thin or dice small.) In a separate pan, saute sliced onions, peppers, mushrooms, whatever you have on hand.

Left overs from Thanksgiving? Make Thanksgiving Pizza.

Recipe for Thanksgiving Potpies. I do this every year with the Thanksgiving leftovers. These freeze well and are a big hit. This is what I had left over this year. Any other leftover ingredients can be used. In past years, I have had carrots, corn, sweet potatoes, you name it. Sometimes you need to make some extra gravy, veggies or potatoes to flesh out the potpies if you are lacking in leftovers in one category.

Slice leftover stuffing and warm on stove or microwave. Serve fried eggs over it (or next to it) for breakfast or a quick lunch or dinner. Can also be served next to scrambled eggs. Cathy

Great way to use leftover turkey from Thanksgiving! Cook onion, celery, and pepper in butter until soft. Add remaining ingredients except turkey and cook 5 minutes. Add turkey. Heat through.

Starting with the tortilla, spread the cream cheese on it and then spread a coating of the cranberry gel. One top of that, a layer of stuffing and then the turkey, and the top is the gravy.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Put stuffing in a large bowl. Mix in mushrooms with liquid. Let sit 10 minutes. Mix in ground beef and eggs. Spoon into a 9x9-inch baking dish.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9-inch round baking dish...

Sauté onion, celery, mushroom, and garlic in margarine until tender. Blend in flour and cook for one minute stirring constantly. Gradually add milk until smooth...

Prepare cream of mushroom soup as directed. Prepare spaghetti as directed then drain. Combine spaghetti, soup and remaining ingredients. Stir until cheese melts. Serve and enjoy!

Is it safe to freeze leftovers from Thanksgiving? I was thinking about the green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, and stuffing.

Debby from Ashland City, TN

Answers

I do it all the time. When my in-laws were alive we used to take the entire Thanksgiving dinner to CA to cook there.

Instead of bringing it back to OR I bought covered styrofoam plates and packaged each one with enough for 2 people. They used them for weeks

It is safe to freeze those items, but it must be done within a day or two. If you're waiting until now (a week later) to freeze, I'd say no, it's too late. Food should last in the refrigerator up to three days. You can freeze it anytime within that three days, but not afterwards.

By Madeline (Guest Post)

I agree with Noella, but would add a little addendum. Some dishes have ingredients that would still be fine a week later. If you used any diary product or meat product (even broth) you should probably toss them. But if your sweet potatoes are with anything like marshmallows or pineapple -- they are fine. And gravy, cream soups, or cream sauces will separate when frozen and thawed, so they will not be very appetizing later.

Thanks for the advise. I had everything in the freezer by saturday morning!

Don't use aluminum pans to freeze your stuffing/dressing in. It'll give off as food poisoning when thawed out.

My sister did this one year, upon heating it and eating it, they all had to go to the hospital for treatment.

Food and Recipes Food Tips LeftoversFebruary 14, 2014
🌻
🎃
🎂