Frugal Turkey Enchiladas

I decided to use up the last of a turkey that I had in the freezer by making enchiladas. I was appalled to find that the enchilada sauce was well over $2.50 a can. Instead, I bought a packet of enchilada sauce mix for 50 cents, and the required can of tomato paste which was in my cupboard cost 33 cents, bought at Big Lots. Total $ .83 for the sauce which would have cost me over $2.5 ready made.

I made a pan of turkey enchiladas, and then used up some taco meat and made a smaller pan of enchiladas in a pan lined with foil, and popped it in to the freezer. Not counting the meat I figure the total cost to be $.83 for the sauce, $1 for the tortillas and $1 for cheese to top both pans. Not too shabby!

By Linda

By SandieM (Guest Post)

I found the enchilada sauce very expensive also at our grocery chain store. I went to Big Lots and could not believe they had 28 oz. cans of red or green enchilada sauce for $.99. Needless to say, I stocked up.

By Rockcandy248 (Guest Post)

You can make your own enchilada sauce, without even the sauce package. Please see the recipe on my blog site Chrispy's Cheapskate Tips. It works great and tastes great too!