Gas Range Pilot Lights

I currently have a gas range. The pilot light stays lit. I bought the range thinking if the power went out I would always be able to cook, as opposed to an electric ignition range. Well now that gas prices are sky high I am wondering if I would be better off getting a range that has the electric ignition on it?

This would keep the pilot light from burning all of the time thus not constantly consuming gas or heating up the kitchen in the summer.

Can anyone give me some guidance on this topic?

I do not need a fancy range, in fact I have the very most basic gas range now/so I would not buy a top of the line range if I replace this one and the one I have now is 9 years old. I bought it new when I built my house.

Thanks in advance for any help on this topic.

Cookiepom from Owensboro, KY

Answers

If you have an outdoor gas grill, that could be your cooking source in the event of a power outage, if you decide to go the electric range route. I thought most gas ranges had electronic ignition... so you'd have to light the eyes with a match or lighter anyway if you had no power. Since I prefer cooking with gas, the small amount of gas burned and heat generated from the pilot would not matter much to me.

Better Living Green Living ConservationJanuary 16, 2006
Young Boy Pretending to be a Pilot in Cardboard Plane
Making a Pilot Costume
Gas Stove Burner
Repairing Gas Stove Burners
Dirty drip pan and stove top.
Keeping Electric Range Drip Pans Clean
Oregon Zoolights
Saving Money on Christmas Lights
🎄