Repairing Gas Stove Burners

When your gas stove's burners or the pilot itself will not ignite, you may be able to make the repairs yourself. This is a guide about repairing gas stove burners.

I ignited my gas burner, but only the yellow flames are appearing. Normally you'll have yellow and blue flames igniting at the same time. So how do I fix it?

Answers

Best Answer

This is most definitely a problem you cannot sort out yourself. You need to contact the people that supply your gas. They will send an engineer. It's very dangerous to mess about with either gas or electric if not qualified.
( My brother used to fix boilers etc and I know from him not to try to fix anything yourself.)
Best of luck.
Monique

Two burners do not light properly. Any solutions?

By Philo

Answers

If you have a gas burner on your stove, and it is only partially burning it may be that something has boiled over and clogged the burner. You can clean that with a toothpick or similar, when the stove is cold, of course.

If the burner is clogged with soot because the gas is not burning cleanly, you have another kind of problem, and likely need to get someone who knows about gas stoves to fix this for you. You don't want to fool around on your own, as explosions can occur.

Yes the vone plate is not working on my gas hob. Can I get someone to service the stove?

Anonymous

Someone told me to clean the holes with pipe cleaners but I havent tried it yet.

I have a four-burner gas stove. However, only the two left burners work. What steps should I take to fix this? Thanks so much!

By Nancy from Salem, MA

Answers

I'm not sure it's wise to do this on your own as gas is involved, but the easiest thing would be to give the gas ring a good wash and scrub as dirt and debris may be clogging things. My stovetop has removable burners, don't know if yours is the same. It might be time to invest in a new stove if yours is old, or call a repairman if you think it pays to keep it.

Anonymous

It could be something as simple as the pilot(s) going out on those two burners. I used to have a gas stove that the slightest extra breeze blew the pilots out. Make sure you don't smell gas buildup before doing this:

Light a long match (or strand of long dry spaghetti), turn one burner on and immediately light where the gas comes from with the match flame then repeat with other burner. Turn both back off and turn on again to see if they restart on their own. If that doesn't work you could call the manufacturer of the stove for more trouble shooting advice.

Re: Repairing the Burners on a Gas Stove. I truly want to thank you for your suggestions! I'll try them.
~Nancy

The pilot light is not lighting a front burner on my Jenn Air gas stove top. I am using a lighter at the moment. Where is the pilot light located on my stove top and how do I clean it? Thanks.

By Jan

Answers

It's my neighbor stove. I have not seen it, but was asking if it can be cleaned.