Cleaning Electric Stove Burners

Category Appliances
Electric stove burners can be a chore to clean. This is a guide about cleaning electric stove burners.

After wiping the stove off after dinner every day, I turn on all the burners on high for 30 seconds and watch to see if there is smoke. Then I turn them off to cool. This saves me from having a burning smell on the bottom of pots the next time the stove gets used. Too often family members fail to do this and you end up with odd smells and black-bottom pots and pans. Safer too.

By Lynn from Bridgeville, PA

I sprayed my electric stove top burners with Mr. Clean. Is that safe?

Answers

Best Answer

I cannot see any reason that Mr. Clean would be unsafe but if you did not clean/wipe most of it off, your burners may "smell" when turned on.

• Electric stove coil burners and gas stove grills are usually easier to clean by removing them and cleaning them in your sink or in a pail of water with added cleanser like Ajax, Barkeepers Friend, etc..
  • Ad

• Let them soak and then scrub with a brush or abrasive pad.
  • You can also try Soft Scrub or baking soda as these work also.
  • These cleaners work with the drip pans also.

How do you get baked on food off stove burners? SOS doesn't work well.

By Marilee from Bakersfield

Answers

I've always used spray oven cleaner foam (the store brand version of Easy Off should be fine). You might need to use a nose mask to deal with the fumes, but it works like nothing else.

Easy Off Oven Spray was my thought also. I had some buildup on the stove around the eye from canning snaps over the years. I had tried to remove it using several methods and finally gave up.

Recently, I tried Easy Off Oven Cleaner on it and laid plastic wrap over it and let it sit for several hours. The stain wiped up beautifully and now my stove looks good as new.

If it's a regular gas stove, and the grate portion you sit the pan on, those can also be tossed into a self-cleaning oven if you have one, (along with your cast iron skillets and pots, too!). Otherwise, the easy-off is the best solution.

You can put that and any other grates, such as your grill grate, into a large black plastic bag. Spray them, close the top, and after a few hours it will usually even wash right off with hose, though I will usually brush them first just to make sure cakey stuff is dislodged.

It probably goes without saying that I would never use it on anything cast iron since that is porous, and could absorb and come out later in your food.

how do I get plastic off a burner?

How do I clean a stove burner?

By nabila khan from India

What cleaning solutions are best for stovetop burners?

By sheila from Waverly, MN

I need info on how to clean the burners on my stove. They are solid, and possibly cast iron and are not removable. They have what appears to be rust on them (along with cooking detritus). I don't know if I can just scrub them with steel wool, or what. Any help would be appreciated

Answers:

Cleaning stove burners

I would contact an appliance parts store and see if they can order replacements for you. You would need the make, model and serial number so they can cross reference. It's worth a try! (12/15/2000)

By Syd Barr

Cleaning stove burners

Ammonia has always worked really well. (12/16/2000)

Cleaning stove burners

I have cleaned old and encrusted cast iron cookware by putting it the coals of my fireplace. It burns off the baked on grease and grime. I would try one as a sample. You could probably use your outdoor grill if you do not have a fireplace. Good Luck. (12/19/2000)

By lelbel

Cleaning Stove Burners

I have the same type of burners on my Jennair stove. I had no idea how to take care of them so I called the company. They said to use a damp plastic scrubber to get off any food or rust then heat to dry (treat them basically the same you would any other cast iron). They also sent me a jar of the conditioning agent for free. I would call the manufacturer and see if they have a product to send you or specific instructions to clean them.

(06/20/2003)

By ThriftyFun

Cleaning stove burners

I noticed someone posted putting the burners in a plastic bag w/ammonia. BE VERY CAUTIOUS as ammonia can knock you out by just breathing it. Always dilute it w/water and never add anything else. This can be hazardous to you and your health. (11/06/2004)

By Joan

Cleaning Stove Burners

To get stove burners clean, boil for about 5 minutes in water with automatic dishwasher powder. Let cool and wipe.

(07/23/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Cleaning Stove Burners

I would like to thank who ever said to put stove burners in 1/4 cup ammonia and put in plastic bag and seal. I did this I put the bags outside and waited at least 4 or 5 hours then I soaked them for a while, the crud just peeled off and my burners look just great. (11/01/2009)

By Sandra Allmon

Cleaning Stove Burners

My stove has solid cast iron burners that can not be removed. I kept my burners looking new by wetting them, then covering them with baking soda. The soda absorbs the grime. I let it sit for about 30 minutes, then take a dishcloth to rub the soda in. It works like an abrasive, but is gentle. I then remove all the soda and I wipe my burners clean and dry them. My stove is stainless steel, so this also works to clean the stainless around the burners. My stove still looks new. (11/11/2009)

By Debbie